Dual Monitor Issue

ader108

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Not sure if this is correct forum, but didn't see something more specific, so sorry if this is in the wrong area.
Alright. So I presently have two monitors plugged into my computer.. When i go into settings, i have the option to go dual monitor, and my computer is reading that i have two plugged in, but when i set it to dual monitor only one monitor works.
It also seems that only one of my adapters/sockets is working; when I swap the monitors between adapters the second works but the first does not.
The first (working) monitor is plugged into my DVI-I port, and my second is plugged into the DVI-D.
My present video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, and I'm running windows 8.

I've gone in and messed with settings both in the regular control panel as well as the NVIDIA control panel.
Any help would be appreciated! :)

kmk132

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
i had trouble interpreting your description of swapping your monitors to test the ports, so correct me if what i say is wrong.

you are running both monitors off of the dvi ports on the card, one on each. when you say adapters, do you mean the ports on the card, or are you using DVI-VGA adapters or something like that to the monitors?

if both your monitors are set to the correct inputs and only one port seems to be working you could try getting an adapter for the mini-hdmi i think is on that card. radioshack should have mini-hdmi to dvi adapters for like $25 and if it doesn't work, you can return it. i just did it with a minidisplayport to dvi adapter.

ader108

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I have both VGA monitors.
correct, I'm meaning DVI-I-VGA and DVI-D-VGA adapters.
and after further research it seems i have to get myself a new monitor.. something like impossible without expensive converters to convert DVI-D to VGA..