wireless adpater for wired nic card

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Is there any way to "adapt" a regular wired lan card to become wireless
without purchasing a new wireless card. I need my MAC address (for
corporate security/VLAN purposes) on my current card, but wish to be able to
use wireless convenience around my house. I'm not sure that this can be
done, but I figured that if it was possible, this would be the group to ask.
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless adpater wired card
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Alan wrote:
    > Is there any way to "adapt" a regular wired lan card to become wireless
    > without purchasing a new wireless card. I need my MAC address (for
    > corporate security/VLAN purposes) on my current card, but wish to be able to
    > use wireless convenience around my house. I'm not sure that this can be
    > done, but I figured that if it was possible, this would be the group to ask.

    Just ad a wireless card as well. The other card will be the MAC address
    I would figure. Anything sent to the wirless cardwould use its MAc address.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    > Is there any way to "adapt" a regular wired lan card to become wireless
    > without purchasing a new wireless card. I need my MAC address (for
    > corporate security/VLAN purposes) on my current card, but wish to be able
    > use wireless convenience around my house. I'm not sure that this can be
    > done, but I figured that if it was possible, this would be the group to
    ask.

    Many popular routers (wireless and wired) offer the ability to spoof the WAN
    MAC address. However I'm not quite certain how your VPN would be able to
    handle network address translation. Then again some routers will also
    operate in bridged mode, but I think in doing so you lose the ability to
    spoof the WAN MAC address, which leads us down the same road? Anyone with
    more experience in this area please correct me and enlighten the OP.

    Your post does beg the obvious question. Why don't you have your IT
    department at work change the MAC address on record to the MAC address on
    the device you plan on using?

Wireless Connectivity Networking