Will my PC pick up GPU without drivers?

Logie4

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hi, I am only new to the world of building PCs and have quite a noobie question. I have built my PC, installed windows 7 and my motherboard drivers but my graphics card drivers won't instal properly and i believe they are put of date. My system doesn't even pick up my gpu as being there and I was wondering if this is because the drivers are not installed. I mean should it register that the gpu is there without them? The fans are working on the card fine and everything. My card is a sapphire 7850. I have a friend who got drivers for the same card from the sapphire website and his is working fine. I just would like some expert advice on the matter rather than relying on my friend the novice (like myself)
An answer would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, Thomas.

Logie4

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
If I connect my DVI or HDMI cables to it without the AMD drivers, and with the default Microsoft drivers you mentioned, should I get a signal at all?

Logie4

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I am not getting a signal when connecting me GPU to my monitor. i only am through using integrated graphics from my I5 processor. When i look in my system hardware in windows also, the only thing that shows up for graphics is my integrated i5 graphics. I've true disabling this in the bios but no luck, as my GPU still didn't kick in and i was left blind with a black screen. what would be the problem that im not seeing here?

Logie4

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

First double check your GPU power connection, make sure it is in tight. If the connection is lose you won't get signal from the card. If there is an alternative port to connect your monitor to, try that. Finally, try reseating the card into the slot, it may not have fit into the slot quite right.

If all of that fails, it is possible that your card is dead on arrival, in which case you will have to RMA it.

Logie4

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks very much for your help. I was looking through another forum thread and someone had the same issue and came to the same conclusion as yourself. I will try that and if it fails return it.