ATI Streams Open CL vs. NVidia Cuda for GPU accelerated tasks

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Okay seeing the different is so tiny in gaming performance what about in GPU accelerated tasks
Video Processing? Rendering? Other?

I do a lot of video work at home and I think as time goes on more and more applications will be written to take advantage of GPU processing I also do folding/Seti and I am considering doing some bitcoin mining.

I am looking for some hard info that cna sway me toward the 670 or the 7970 in 1080 gaming they are so close I can't make up my mind, it seems to me Nvidia pushes their GPUCPU harder but that doesn't make it better in the long run.

BitCoin Mining I know AMD wins

Folding I am pretty sure the Nvidia 5XX has a slight edge (haven't seen good folding #'s from a 6XX yet it seems the folding software doesn't fully support it yet)

If they created an app for oh I say looking for Dup Jpg or MP3 I can see where GPUCPU could speed that up or searching large databases

The 6xx's are supported by F@H and return slightly more points than the 5xx series, still more than an AMD GPU gets though.

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

My Mistake everytime I search in Google (including less then 1 hour ago) the top searches are all about how to get the 680 to fold, how the 680 folds like a 570 and how to work around lack of client support for the 680 some even dated as little close as aug of this year.

S'alright, I'm folding with a pair of 660Ti's and a pair of 560Ti's and have had a few "issues" with the v7 client so whilst I know it does work I can also understand why some might think it doesn't.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Depending what your doing depends on whats best

OpenCL through Adobe CS6, AMD is king here, get excellent performance through OpenCL, can be a little difficult to get working on some configs (reported by some users of CS6) but other wise fantastic