Mahimul

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hello,
I found this this deal on newegg.ca about a 7970 only $359.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161412

HIS IceQ X² H797QM3G2M Radeon HD 7970
$359.99

I really like it and would like to get it for my build, but the thing is, the feedbacks made by people are scaring me. Most of the feedbacks say the card died after 5-6 months. One says it crashes when games are at max settings.
I don't know if I should trust it. I tried searching for reviews on this exact card, but there was none with the same model.
If I should go with it, then I will probably have to get a 7950 or maybe a GTS 670 reference by MSI
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127675

Can you please tell me if the 7970 by HIS is good or not.
The rest of my build contains an i5 3570K, MSI Z77 G45 Micro ATX (budget causes made me take Micro ATX), 8GB RAM, 240GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD. Monitor is 1920*1080.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Well the thing is how can you trust newegg reviews. I mean all those claims are possible nevertheless i am not convinced.Basically blanket statements.I see no proof or facts just a bunch of hear say from strangers. I do not trust that.I tell you what i do trust is professional reliable reviews with proof and facts like this http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/his-7970-iceq-x2-ghz-edition/
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7970_X_Turbo/

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I would say go for it, owning both Nvidia and ATI cards I have no beef with either but personally I lean towards Nvidia because of Folding@home stats and Physx but ATI has really good performance for the dollar which is what you want.

Mahimul

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Well, thank You Bigcyco1 for the review on the card. I didn't find the exact one, but you found it. At least now I know to trust newegg feedbacks less.

One thing, What is Folding@Home?
I seem to see Mightymaxio mention it.
I have no clue what it is. Sorry, it's my first time posting here in Tom's Hardware.

That's fine, for a review.

But here's the thing. A professional review is looking at one card; it isn't going to be able to tell you that the quality control of the cards' manufacturer is bad, and that you have a 40% chance of getting a dead or broken card each time you try.

If a lot of people are saying they've had problems, it means that there are quality control problems in the manufacturing process.

Well if you put it like that. I would agree with that.However i still want proof not blanket statements from people i do not know.I went through all that bs with my MSI 670 PE's beast btw all non sense ;)

Careful about that. Don't trust ratings unless you see a lot of people rating an item down for sane reasons / an item with thousands of ratings that are all good.

You just don't want to listen to someone who gives one egg because he had a DOA part - it happens and he's being stupid... But if a LOT of people are mentioning that they got items that are DOA, then there's a problem.

Essentially you have to have the common sense to filter out the inane reviews - then look at the rest and they'll be accurate.

EDIT: Bigcyco, that's why you have to look at many reviews - on their own you can't trust a review to be accurate, but if everyone is saying the same thing, then it's probably true. But no, one should still use benchmarks and real reviews to make an initial decision - both types give you different information, and both types of information are valuable.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Folding@Home is a Stanford University project made to utilize GPU processor's and CPU processor's to calculate different Gene scenarios to cure different diseases and biological effects such as Alzheimer's and some forms of Cancer. Currently it has really only worked well on Nvidia GPU's because of the Cuda technology involved in the shaders where as ATI GPU's suffer in this regard.

Think of it this way:
Folding@Home = Nvidia Advantage
Bitcoining = ATI Advantage

Oh i think i must not of been clear enough no..no.. i am not saying they should just saying that is the only way to get any reliable info about a card your interested in the rest is a gamble of course.I do not bother with newegg reviews.I need some proof.I am not very trusting of strangers is all.

Well op you know what if your thatworried about it just to play it safe why not get EVGA 670 FTW!It's a solid card and evga has bestcustomer serivce so if anything goes wrong you can be rest assured they will make it right.I honestly would not be so worried look at all the bad mouthing msi and for what ? I have two msi 670 pe straight beast!All that was BS about the card so you cannot trust nobody.

Mahimul

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks for the info Darksable.

@Bigcyco1, I did see the MSI 670 PE, I think it is the MSI one with the two fans and a black and blue theme. They are just $365. Is the GTX 670 PE better than the 7970? Kind of confused. :??:

@Mightymaxio, Thanks for the info about Folding@Home. :)

Wow, I never expected so many answers. I am going to start asking about doubts in Tom's Hardware more often.

Mahimul

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Unfortunately the Evga GTX 670 FTW cost $415 at newegg.ca. :(
I can't cross my budget, which is $1150 (already crossed it and the build is $1208)

Should I show the parts in my build so it is easier to decide which one to go for?

@BigMack70, thanks for the info. I am learning new things after every post by you guys :D

I would not go so far as to say it's better.The 670 and 7970 perform basically the same at stock up to 1080p resolution, trading blows depending on the game. The 7970 will likely OC better and do better at high resolution (and has way more compute power), the 670 gives you CUDA , PhysX, TXAA, FXAA, ADap. Vsync etc and lower power draw.Before this thread Becomes a "amd vs nvidia" bs fight,let me tell you something
both cards are powerful enough to play all of todays games with silky smooth frame rates.
a 3-5 fps difference is negligible in real world.
just go with the cheaper option. I would say MSI 670 PE is selling for excellent price for an extremely good gaming card that will play pretty much everything you throw at it at high to ultra settings.

acegoku

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Check out a profesional reviews of the card and if they are positive go for it. i would ignore the reviews on sites like newegg that say it crashed in this amount of time. but if your really worried try to get an extended warranty.

Mahimul

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for the information guys and most importantly, thanks for your time posting answers. :)

I want to select a best answer, but all of you gave too many helpful answers. hope you don't mind that i am not selecting a best answer.

@ Bigcyco1, I know how much you want to say you want me to take a MSI GTX 670 PE. (I can see that in you answers lol, but I might be wrong)
I do agree it's an amazing price, but the 7970 is $359, which is, I would say, a steal maybe?

Thank you everyone for your answers. :D