Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CLD-959 (CLD-97/98) circuit diagrams

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:43:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Hi,

Just recently had this player modified for AC3 playback.

It's a Japanese player (which is essentially an American CLD-97 or CLD-98)

My mate has just posted asking for circuit diagrams, as I wasn't sure how to
use the newsgroups, but I've now got these setup.

The player is very glitchy on DTS laserdiscs, playing only 2 out of 10, the
rest either do not provide enough signal for my amp to lock onto, or provide
a clicky, poppy sound.

I currently have the player at an approved Pioneer repairer, but he says
that Pioneer will not release their only copy of the circuit diagrams, but
can photocopy sections. To cut a long story short, the lady who photocopied
the sections sent the wrong ones.

Can anyone lay their hands on the circuit diagrams for either a CLD-97,
CLD-98 or CLD-959. These are all essentially the same player.

Cheers, Lee
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:26:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Hi,

I am interested in the circuit diagram also.

If you are using the coaxial digital output for DTS playback, be sure to use
a cable certified for video signals (75 ohm cable). An ordinary interlink
intended for audio may cause the problems you are having.

Regards,

Nico de Vries
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:19:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

If you play a CD or a non-DTS LD and have your receiver decode the Digital
bitstream does it work? Does the internal D/A section play CD's or normal
digital soundtracks OK. Usually the popping and crackling can be attributed
to the RF output getting weak but I would except the internal D/A sections
to have some popping also.

The reason some DTS LD's work and other don't is a quality of pressing
issue. The better the pressing the stronger signal you can get off the LD.
So if your level is getting low then some could be just above threshold and
some just below.

You could remove the top and try adjusting the RF level a touch but remember
where it was so you can return it to its original position. The RF
adjustment is on the board on the turn mechanism.

Kurtis

"LSCOLMAN" <lee.colman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:KDTCe.153206$Vo6.24324@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi,
>
> Just recently had this player modified for AC3 playback.
>
> It's a Japanese player (which is essentially an American CLD-97 or CLD-98)
>
> My mate has just posted asking for circuit diagrams, as I wasn't sure how
> to use the newsgroups, but I've now got these setup.
>
> The player is very glitchy on DTS laserdiscs, playing only 2 out of 10,
> the rest either do not provide enough signal for my amp to lock onto, or
> provide a clicky, poppy sound.
>
> I currently have the player at an approved Pioneer repairer, but he says
> that Pioneer will not release their only copy of the circuit diagrams, but
> can photocopy sections. To cut a long story short, the lady who
> photocopied the sections sent the wrong ones.
>
> Can anyone lay their hands on the circuit diagrams for either a CLD-97,
> CLD-98 or CLD-959. These are all essentially the same player.
>
> Cheers, Lee
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:23:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Hi,

The RF feed for Dolby Digital is perfect, and works first time, every time.

A forgot to mention that the Stereo phono's do not produce any signal, so it
does sound as though one of the boards has failed.

The guy who had the player before me, tried to get things working by
adjusting four pots in the player, and managed to get 20 out of 25 DTS discs
working with his Parasound C2, but I'm only getting 2 out of 10 DTS on my
Denon A1SR.

Should also mention that Dolby ProLogic and Stereo stuff is also poppy out
of the Optical/Co-Axial feed for about 40% of my discs. He reported no such
problem on his Amp.

It does appear to be a marginal signal, which initially pointed to
alignment, but as there is no output at all from stereo phono, I think it is
something else.

After using the CLD-925 and 919, there really is no comparison in picture
quality, so I'd really like to get it sorted. I have it at a Pioneer
repairer, so hopefully it will be able to be repaired.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Lee

"Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:TeedneYV562o7EHfRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> If you play a CD or a non-DTS LD and have your receiver decode the Digital
> bitstream does it work? Does the internal D/A section play CD's or normal
> digital soundtracks OK. Usually the popping and crackling can be
> attributed to the RF output getting weak but I would except the internal
> D/A sections to have some popping also.
>
> The reason some DTS LD's work and other don't is a quality of pressing
> issue. The better the pressing the stronger signal you can get off the
> LD. So if your level is getting low then some could be just above
> threshold and some just below.
>
> You could remove the top and try adjusting the RF level a touch but
> remember where it was so you can return it to its original position. The
> RF adjustment is on the board on the turn mechanism.
>
> Kurtis
>
> "LSCOLMAN" <lee.colman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:KDTCe.153206$Vo6.24324@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just recently had this player modified for AC3 playback.
>>
>> It's a Japanese player (which is essentially an American CLD-97 or
>> CLD-98)
>>
>> My mate has just posted asking for circuit diagrams, as I wasn't sure how
>> to use the newsgroups, but I've now got these setup.
>>
>> The player is very glitchy on DTS laserdiscs, playing only 2 out of 10,
>> the rest either do not provide enough signal for my amp to lock onto, or
>> provide a clicky, poppy sound.
>>
>> I currently have the player at an approved Pioneer repairer, but he says
>> that Pioneer will not release their only copy of the circuit diagrams,
>> but can photocopy sections. To cut a long story short, the lady who
>> photocopied the sections sent the wrong ones.
>>
>> Can anyone lay their hands on the circuit diagrams for either a CLD-97,
>> CLD-98 or CLD-959. These are all essentially the same player.
>>
>> Cheers, Lee
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:52:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

What about analog Audio. If your RF signal gets weak you can still have
analog audio and AC-3 RF but you will start loosing the digital decoding
which would be both the stereo outputs and the digital outputs.

It is now scary that you said the previous owner was adjusting things.
Hopefully the tech working on it will look at the RF level test point and
check the amplitude, that is the first step.

Kurtis

"LSCOLMAN" <lee.colman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:IT1De.155921$Vo6.26291@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi,
>
> The RF feed for Dolby Digital is perfect, and works first time, every
> time.
>
> A forgot to mention that the Stereo phono's do not produce any signal, so
> it does sound as though one of the boards has failed.
>
> The guy who had the player before me, tried to get things working by
> adjusting four pots in the player, and managed to get 20 out of 25 DTS
> discs working with his Parasound C2, but I'm only getting 2 out of 10 DTS
> on my Denon A1SR.
>
> Should also mention that Dolby ProLogic and Stereo stuff is also poppy out
> of the Optical/Co-Axial feed for about 40% of my discs. He reported no
> such problem on his Amp.
>
> It does appear to be a marginal signal, which initially pointed to
> alignment, but as there is no output at all from stereo phono, I think it
> is something else.
>
> After using the CLD-925 and 919, there really is no comparison in picture
> quality, so I'd really like to get it sorted. I have it at a Pioneer
> repairer, so hopefully it will be able to be repaired.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers, Lee
>
> "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:TeedneYV562o7EHfRVn-jg@comcast.com...
>> If you play a CD or a non-DTS LD and have your receiver decode the
>> Digital bitstream does it work? Does the internal D/A section play CD's
>> or normal digital soundtracks OK. Usually the popping and crackling can
>> be attributed to the RF output getting weak but I would except the
>> internal D/A sections to have some popping also.
>>
>> The reason some DTS LD's work and other don't is a quality of pressing
>> issue. The better the pressing the stronger signal you can get off the
>> LD. So if your level is getting low then some could be just above
>> threshold and some just below.
>>
>> You could remove the top and try adjusting the RF level a touch but
>> remember where it was so you can return it to its original position. The
>> RF adjustment is on the board on the turn mechanism.
>>
>> Kurtis
>>
>> "LSCOLMAN" <lee.colman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:KDTCe.153206$Vo6.24324@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just recently had this player modified for AC3 playback.
>>>
>>> It's a Japanese player (which is essentially an American CLD-97 or
>>> CLD-98)
>>>
>>> My mate has just posted asking for circuit diagrams, as I wasn't sure
>>> how to use the newsgroups, but I've now got these setup.
>>>
>>> The player is very glitchy on DTS laserdiscs, playing only 2 out of 10,
>>> the rest either do not provide enough signal for my amp to lock onto, or
>>> provide a clicky, poppy sound.
>>>
>>> I currently have the player at an approved Pioneer repairer, but he says
>>> that Pioneer will not release their only copy of the circuit diagrams,
>>> but can photocopy sections. To cut a long story short, the lady who
>>> photocopied the sections sent the wrong ones.
>>>
>>> Can anyone lay their hands on the circuit diagrams for either a CLD-97,
>>> CLD-98 or CLD-959. These are all essentially the same player.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Lee
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!