LCD TV as monitor before installing OS HELP

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

No sir, im currently using a 32" Vizio LCD tv and in my honest opinion I would'nt have it any other way, just make sure the motherboard you have does indeed include an onbaord HDMI port

Also if you have trouble with the screen leaving "black margins" then I suggest getting CCC (catalyst control center) from amd and adjusting the "overscanning option" i know that seems like a mouthful but many people run into this problem when using tv's rather than monitors

DenyOrReply

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I know it's possible to hook up a computer to a television. Maybe I need to be more specific. I am currently looking at a blank screen on my television in which an HDMI cord is connecting the desktop (fully built) to the LCD TV. I don't have my OS installed yet, and I'm wondering if the problem is if I need a different cord AT FIRST, BEFORE USING THE HDMI.

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
no, if you do not have an OS then the only thing that may register if at all is your BIOS, however i cant give you a real idea unless i know what motherboard you have. I have personally installed an OS on samsung tv and it was flawless, obviously using an HDMI cord,
simply:No, the HDMI output on your motherboard is active from thet get-go

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

yeah you should be fine, it should boot into the bios, i know this sounds dumb but just to be sure,
1.) make sure your tv is on the correct HDMI source
2.) make sure the computer is on
3.) make sure the cord you are using is not faulty
4.) make sure the cord is plugged in correctly, some of the backplate shields can be flimsy and not fit snug up to the port

DenyOrReply

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
TV is on the correct one, the computer is on (fans spinning, light on the power button lit up), the cord is the same one I've used with my laptop, I know it's not faulty, and the cord is in as far as it should be.

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

hmm that is odd...so you're not getting any signal feedback whatsoever? How new is the motherboard? there could be a slight chance it was damaged if its one that you have recently picked up. although its a pain in the back, if you happen to have an drive with a functioning OS on it you could try that and see if for some reason that helps isolate the problem, i have done 2 fresh installs on a single tv as a monitor and i have yet to run into a hiccup that you would otherwise get while using a monitor

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
ahh i see, well that may be the problem, like i said you may have to test and isolate which parts you are for sure about. If you happen to even have a RGB or DVI cable around many semi recent televisions will support either one of the two. Just take deep breathes i know getting a new system up and running can be irritating at times!