$1500 Editing PC!

howdoiwatercool

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I edit on programs such as Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and After Effects.

Montiors, optical drives, keyboard, mouses, and Operating Systems should not be included in the part list.

Thank you :p

g-unit1111

Titan
This is what I would get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ATI FirePro V5800 1GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($144.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1520.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-13 12:24 EST-0500)

It's just not the additional sata ports the asus pro offer, more expansion slots, more power phases, wifi, overall more features.
Cheaper ram, but with really tall heatsinks, i would get low profile ram, even if it costs a few dollars more, for a 1500$ budget, i don't think he'll mind that.
g-unit1111, i don't think he needs the ati firepro, when mostly it's adobe software, the 660 ti is a better option for it, since it supports nvidia cuda.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah true, I just throw that suggestion out there - the professional cards are better for video editing but they're also slower.

the viper 3 heatspreaders arent tall. they are about the same as gskill ripjaws z, which both of them fit under the d14.

more power phases mean nothing when you arent overclocking beyond 4.6ghz. wifi can be bought seperately for cheaper and the software that comes with it is about the same as the LK

It still is better going with low profile ram, and if he wants the 4 dimm slots occupied in the future, the asus pro has more features that justifies the higher price that's all i'm saying, the LK is a rather low end board, with low power phases(4).

actually, they will fit under most heatsinks (wont fit under silver arrow).

the 4 power phases are much better than the 8 on the extreme4 for reference.

i personally dont think the v-pro justifies itself for the price. the gigabyte ud5h does from the bucketload of ports but the v-pro is just the LK + 4 more power phases that wont be used much, a few more ports, TPU (which you shouldnt be using if you can overclock), and wifi

lan controller doesnt really impact day to day usage. unless you are doing some serious network operations, its not necessary

how often does someone connect 8 drives to one system?

same pci-e slot layout. same bandwidth.

well if it fits, why get something more expensive?

Well, some people might find those features useful, the op might find either a mid end board more useful than a low end one.
Low profile gives less hassle and it will ensure that if he wants the four dimm slots occupied, even with the largest coolers like the phanteks or thermalright silver arrow.
Also it has a lower cas and lower voltage for overclocking(consequently, it can achieve a higher frequency), it's not much, but it might improve the performance in editing.

darkspartenwarrior

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

For editing you may want an RE4, Velociraptor, or similar Enterprise drive, the consumer ones, especially Seagate, have really gone down the drain in terms of quality since the Thailand floods.

For editing you may want a lower end Quadro or Firepro, or a Tesla if you can find it, the high end ones are well over 2500 dollars but the lower ones are optimized for editing/work tasks and will do better than their equivalent GTX card in that regard.

to compromise for the Quadro/Firepro cost you may want to downgrade to an FX-8350 or even a lower end Opteron. In multithreaded the FX-8350 is very similar to the i7.

Also the 840 pro is faster than almost any SSD out there, I'd reccomend the 240GB version of that

for an i7 all you really need is a Hyper Evo, it'll get you good overclocks up to 4.5 and for the FX-8350 it's even better.

As a last word

Anything CUDA(i.e Adobe/video, anything 2D basically) Quadro wins

Anything 3D, a Tahiti(i.e Firepro) beats the Nvidia.

Seagate hdds are as reliable as the other brands, getting other expensive and not necessary hdd, will not assure that it will last longer.
For adobe applications, the gaming nvidia cards are good for it, most of them outperforms the old models nvidia quadro's, even the 4000.
He doesn't need a workstation card for it.