Gigabit Ethernet giving a 100 mbps.

psychopathio

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Here is the layout of the network

-Internet router 100 mbps
-Cisco 5 port Gigabit switch
-2 PCs & a server all with gigabit adapters. & a playstation 3 with gigabit.

Router connects to switch, switch provides for network.

Both PCs are using Cat5e bales & are running on Gigabit, but I tried running the server on 2 types of cat 6 & a cat 5e cable but does not change speed over 100 mbps.

Both PCs & server are currently running Windows 7 SP1 with all updates installed.

The port used to work fine prior to downgrading the CPU.

I tried removing any 100 mbps connection off the network but all efforts fail. even with the same cable connecting the PC but that also failed. Installing the latest drivers didn't do good either.

I think I covered all the solutions for the problem here, but I might have missed something.

jlandi

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

There could be a couple places the problem could lie. It sounds like you have eliminated the cable as one source, what I would do next is eliminate the port on the switch and if that ports checks out then it could be an issue the the NIC driver. I have heard that sometimes updates cause the NICs to crap out to 100 Mbps.

psychopathio

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I already tried different ports & installed the latest driver, but dint work so I reverted to the driver.

What is annoying me is that it worked on the same switch with Gigabit speeds, & when I upgraded the CPU to AMD Phenom II x6 3.2 GHz it worked, but when I downgraded to Phenom X6 3.2 GHz it stopped. :pt1cable:

jlandi

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
If the nic is not integrated into the mobo I would maybe try swapping it out with another one that is known good. Other than that :eek:

TRENDING THREADS