Can I stop the backgroung tasks from running safely and will they re-start
when I re - boot

Well that depends on the task. Here's an earlier post from Jimmy S who
frequently answers this kind of question. Jimmy did a great job describing
the steps required:

USE THE FOLLOWING INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I don't really want to provide a tweaking guide, however it's
clear that there's a demand, so I'll share some tricks I've used
as long as you promise to set a restore point right now. Is that
a fair deal? ;-) Here's how to use Windows XP System Restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.aspI use these methods only for special games such as grudge matches.A: Setup Hardware Profile for Gaming Control Panel / System Hardware Tab / Hardware Profiles button Copy Profile 1 and rename it Gaming Profile Leave Profile 1 at the top of the list Set to Select the first profile in 5 secondsB: Disable Services for Gaming. Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services For each service listed below do the following: Right Click / Properties / Log On Tab Click on Gaming Profile / click Disable Button Click Apply but Do NOT disable for Profile 1List of Services: Alerter / Automatic Updates / Computer BrowserCryptographic Services (Will cause "Logo" Errors when installing SP1 or DX9)Fast User Switching Compatibility / Help and Support / MessengerPrint Spooler / Remote Registry / Secondary Logon (Run as... will notfunction)System Restore Service / Task Scheduler / Terminal Services / ThemesUpload Manager / VMWare Authorization Service (These services only appear ifyou use VM Ware) / VMWare DHCP Service " " / VMWare NAT Service " "Windows Image Acquisition (I won't be scanning while playing) / WindowsTime.* You cannot expect to install games and use windows everyday with the above services disabled. Those are just safe services to disable *WHILE*you're in a game. After the games are over, reboot and use the original Profile1 again.C: Disable Page File Since I have 512 MB Ram I find it faster to use RAM than to page to theHD. Control Panel / System / Advanced / Performance Settings / AdvancedTab Virtual Memory Change / Select each drive / click No Paging fileand click SET. ****If you do not click Set it will not acceptyour change.* Once you're finished your games turn back on the System Managed pagefile!D: Use XP's Firewall Instead of 3rd Party Firewalls We've already disabled your firewall (Norton's, Zone Alarm, etc.) bydisabling Startup programs in step D. Check your services using the method instep A to see if the firewall or antivirus program has services you shoulddisable, i.e. Zone Alarm installs a True Vector service you can disable for the GamingProfile.E: Improve Framerates by Lowering Game Eyecandy and Sound I found that by setting my resolution in Halo to 800x600, and loweringthe visual effects, I was able to improve my framerate from 24 to 52 FPS!:) This is more improvement than any of the other tweaks provided. Sound is something that you don't need. Only keep sound settings thatwill help keep you alive, for example to hear a tank rumbling near you.Music and the sound effects made when you fire your weapons are expensive earcandy.F: Set Performance Options for Best Performance Control Panel / System / Advanced / Settings / Visual Effects Adjust for best performance (remember to change it back after yourgames).G: Disable Startup Programs Start / Run / type msconfig / Startup Tab / Click Disable all button. You will be prompted to restart, when it restarts you'll have 5 secondsto pick Gaming Profile or it will default to Profile 1 instead.WARNING - DO NOT CLICK THE SERVICES / DISABLE ALL BUTTON!*Never touch the Services Tab in msconfig! It allows you to disable ALLservicesfor ALL profiles with the click of one button and Windows won't startupagain!!!Okay, so now I've shared some of the tweaks I've used on my own system. Ihope this information will be helpful, and if used properly help you pwnyour opps!--Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / UserJimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.comGame FAQs: ;gmsVisit]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gmsVisit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /ContactMS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;topMy advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights._________________________________________________________"old jerry" <old jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:B13B66EE-F105-4F6D-985B-43AE0336FEE4@microsoft.com...> Can I stop the backgroung tasks from running safely and will they re-start> when I re - boot

Hi Jerry,

If the Tasks (or Services) are set to automatic and you simply stop
them during a session, then they will automatically Start again the
next time you start your system. Are you experiencing problems?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms