HIS 5850 + Eyefinity (High Temperatures)

jamezgt

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello all!

I've recently just added a third monitor to my setup (currently have 3x 24" Samsung Monitors) and I'm not really feeling the eyefinity so decided to use the extended desktop. I don't really check my temperatures, but when I was gaming I notice my card was making noises (increasing RPM). I checked Speedfan and my GPU temperature was at 92C while gaming!!!

I was under the impression that the gpu fan speed was set on auto, but it turns out I have to manually set a speed (which is a huge hassle). I bumped up the fan speed to 35% and it brought my temperatures down to a steady 83-84C (gaming). Just had a few questions regarding fan speed and temperatures.

1. Are these temperatures normal for a three monitor setup while gaming?
2. What fan speed % would be appropriate for gaming? I would assume the higher the fan speed, it would decrease the life of the card.
3. What would be considered a "normal" fan speed % at idle?
4. Would using MSI Afterburner and selecting the "auto" feature on the fan speed be a good idea and alternative to "manually" setting the fan speeds?

Thank you!

abbadon_34

Distinguished
92C is pretty high. I think stock at idle these days is programmed at 24% or something. You can't even get to 100% on more card with auto. MSI Afterburner is great for fixing this, you can set 100% at the max speed at the max temp you are confortable with (noise excepted). Use the fan/temp graph.

Edit: spelling and grammar

jamezgt

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it.

So I shouldn't use the "auto" feature on Afterburn? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the fan/temp graph, can you elaborate on that please? Thanks :D

abbadon_34

Distinguished
At the bottom of Afterburner click on the "settings" button. then click the "fan" tab. You will see a fan% vs. gpu temp graph.

You may need to play around with some of the settings, since of CCC, Afterburner, Fusion, AOD, and other clock software fight for control. Be mindful of what's installed and why.

edit: Sorry, my previous post had a signifact typo. Default settings often CAN NOT reach 100% under auto. My apology.

jamezgt

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks! I just made a profile and I'm testing it out now. Again, I'm not sure what average fan speed percentages are so this is what I came up with:

30 - 50C : 25% fan speed
70C: 35% fan speed
80C: 40% fan speed
90C: 45% fan speed

Should I bump up the fan speed percentages by 5% for every temperature? I think around 50% is when it gets too loud and distracting :)

jamezgt

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Would you say it's true if the fan speed percentage is kept high it would decrease the life time of the graphics card? The card is actually only going between 80-84C in gaming with three monitors with the fan speed at 38%.

On a side note, is there any way to keep the "auto" featured enabled on a profile on Afterburn? It's a little strange but after I reboot and load Windows, the fan will speed REALLY loud for 10 seconds and then drop to it's original speed. Even with the profile activated, my fan speed % was NOT being auto adjusted.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
I've known FANs to go out early, but those were ones run at 90%-100% for long periods. Higher fan speed in and of itself would actually help the card as far as keeping it cooler. This is of course separate from the overclocking and voltage changes.

If you haven't found it already, there is an option to keep the Afterburner settings. My Afterburner settings actually stick without it, but that's another story.

As far the intial full speed fan at startup, it's pretty common, just one of those startup things, most components will be at full load because their working loading windows, or their just received power, or they haven't received the management instructiongs, etc.