Sign in with
Your question

Need help with new build, money is not a problem

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2013 4:30:34 AM

Hello :D  I am completely new to building computers and personally I am tired of buying premade, bad, underpowered computers. I don't know much about how much power I need or how to check to make sure parts go together.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Anytime I can get all the parts together

Budget Range: Price is not a problem! After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movie Editing, 3D rending, being stupidly over powered

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any just provide links and info

Parts Preferences:
At least 2 4.0+ GHz 8 core processors before OC
1TB+ Hard disk space
250GB Solid State Drive (Maybe?)
At least 2 dedicated graphics card (Thinking NVidia but don't know if there's anything better)
A motherboard that can handle all of this (Is there one?)
20GB+ of Ram minimum
A case with room for 2-3 fans
6-10 USB ports (I have a lot of USB stuff)
Strong WIFI card
Bluetooth connectivity (Doesn't that come with more WIFI cards?)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 or higher

Number of Screens: 2-3

Cooling: Liquid and Air is preferred but liquid if only one can be done.

Additional Comments: Price isn't much of a problem and I don't know much about installing custom bios and about buying and installing OS's on custom hardware.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I have a trash computer right now and I am tired of buying underpowered premade computers.

Did I miss anything? If I did post it below and stuff. :D 
So recommendations?
I will update this post with links to think I am looking into.
Like the title says money is not a problem. I will say try to keep it $300-$500 per part though.

More about : build money problem

February 13, 2013 4:43:21 AM

If Money is no problem...Intel I7 3770K(4 cores, 8 threads) Hyperthreading is best for video rendering since you mentioned video editing, 2 GTX 680's(2 Dedicated GPU's), Cooler Master Storm Stryker monster case with a wide.
if you get the Maximus V Formula (Motherboard) it comes with a WIFI card.

You don't need 20+GB of ram.. thats just crazy. 16GB is more than plenty of RAM.

and a SSD? I'd say Crucial M4 or Samsung 840 series
February 13, 2013 6:22:16 AM

Can you give a realistic budget? Because otherwise this thread will just devolve into people suggesting the most expensive rig possible.
Plus, without a budget we cant give consistent advice to you.
Related resources
February 13, 2013 6:27:24 AM

manofchalk said:
Can you give a realistic budget? Because otherwise this thread will just devolve into people suggesting the most expensive rig possible.
Plus, without a budget we cant give consistent advice to you.

lol.....bUY ALL THE PERIPHERALS!!!!

dont forget a hdd cooler :pt1cable: 
February 13, 2013 2:08:07 PM

If the guy doesn't have a budget then let him buy good stuff. I didn't recommed the most expensive stuff
February 13, 2013 2:57:17 PM

You mentioned 3D rendering. It would help to know exactly which 3D programs you will be using when picking a graphic card. Different 3D programs use different technology that can be an issue when selecting a card.
February 13, 2013 9:11:29 PM

I plan on using cinema 4d and as for a budget anywhere up to say 2000? And that's just for the sake of "Let's try to get a realistic budget" but I mean..less is better but I am willing to pump as much money as I need into it.
February 13, 2013 9:54:25 PM

2x E5-2687W 8-Core 3.1GHz server processor
96GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600MHz RAM
4x Sapphire Radeon 7970GHz edition 6GB Toxic(alternatively if you don't care about display and just want a compute platform you can also take 4x Tesla K20X, in this case you can boot with the Z9PE-D8's integrated ASpeed chipset and use the 4x Teslas to compute)
EVGA SR-X/Asus Z9PE-D8 Dual LGA2011 motherboard(depending on preference)
LSi 9265-8i RAID card(you'll need 1-slot GPU waterblocks for this because you need an extra x16 slot)
8x Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD with 2x 1TB Velociraptor 10000RPM(or 15k/10k SAS based alternatives)
Lian-Li PC-V2120 or the Obsidian 900D when it comes out.
Custom Water Loop, I'd reccomend San Aces or SP120s cooling them.

In terms of peripherals I'd reccomend 5x 2560x1440 IPS screens(preferably BenQ) to run 3D(Though with 3D you may want to consider 4GB GTX680 Classified x4 instead), or just run in standard 5x monitor surround. For mouse I'd reccomend Logitech/Steelseries and for keyboard I'd reccomend Razer Blackwidow.

Alternatively if you are willing to give up performance for swag factor quad 16-core Opterons(6200 Interlagos) or E5-4xxx series CPU in quad socket motherboards with dual FirePro S10000 would be a better choice(I'd reccomend Teslas but they dont have video out and most quad socket mobos don't have more than 2x full length PCIe slots)

EDIT: Sorry buddy dual 8-cores won't get you above 4GHz, even with overclocking, you'll get 3.5GHz at max, however for your purposes that's plenty enough.
February 13, 2013 10:06:14 PM

For under 2000$ and for triple monitor gaming and editing :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BL 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($176.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.72 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1944.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

The monitors here : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iocx
February 13, 2013 10:06:23 PM

Noob12 said:
How big radiator can you fit to Obsidian 900D ? To TJ-11 you can fit 560mm Radiator.
Couple 680 in than with water coolin is nice set.

As far as I know you can't mod the TJ11 to fit either EEB or HPTX.
February 14, 2013 2:12:19 AM

djangoringo said:
For under 2000$ and for triple monitor gaming and editing :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BL 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($176.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.72 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1944.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

The monitors here : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iocx

That's one hell of a build. I haven't looked into that motherboard but I fiddled around with pcpartpicker and came up with something like http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dqvj with the monitors your included. Care to advise? Or at least look it over to make sure I'm not just a complete idiot? XD
February 14, 2013 2:45:02 AM

The i7-3770k outperforms the fx-8350 in every aspect, you don't need 850W for two 670 gtx, the sandisk is way cheaper, you''ll not notice the speed difference.
You don't need a soundcard.
Also i don't think you'll need 16GB, unless you have a reason to.
But if you want amd build : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DqXL
Motherboard has a custom link, it's the asrock extreme 9 which has more power phases than any 990FX board.
February 14, 2013 2:46:35 AM

djangoringo said:
The i7-3770k outperforms the fx-8350 in every aspect, you don't need 850W for two 670 gtx, the sandisk is way cheaper, you''ll not notice the speed difference.
You don't need a soundcard.
Also i don't think you'll need 16GB, unless you have a reason to.
But if you want amd build : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DqTH

I plan on using 3 of the same video card for 3 way SLI so I figured that a higher power supply would be better to get now.
February 14, 2013 2:48:34 AM

You'll be bottlenecked by the FX-8350 with three cards.
February 14, 2013 2:53:16 AM

djangoringo said:
You'll be bottlenecked by the FX-8350 with three cards.

See, I don't know these things! Thanks for the tolerence XD So the i7-3770k will be better in most aspects? And from what I understand almost anything can be liquid cooled with the right equipment right?
February 14, 2013 2:57:08 AM

Pretty much yes, though outside of the CPU and GPU there isnt much point. RAM and Motherboard blocks dont do much and add a lot of restriction to the loop. HDD water blocks are the definition of pointless :lol: .

If your interested in Custom water-cooling, I advise you start a thread in the water-cooling forum.
Before you do so however, read through the watercooling sticky. It will answer many of your questions and give you a lot of background knowledge.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-...
February 14, 2013 11:32:21 AM

Carbonwyre said:
That's one hell of a build. I haven't looked into that motherboard but I fiddled around with pcpartpicker and came up with something like http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dqvj with the monitors your included. Care to advise? Or at least look it over to make sure I'm not just a complete idiot? XD

From what I know:
- Get the Intel 3770k, anything higher starts costing a lot more (i.e 3970X is $1000)
- 32GB RAM is just throwing money away. 16GB is already overkill. 8GB will cover most games. RAM is cheap to upgrade so if you really feel 16GB isn't enough, then buy more. A common misconception is that "More Ram = More Speed", 32GB of ram will do you nothing if your system is only currently using 4GBs
- You don't really need a soundcard unless you're an audiophile with high quality headphones and jacks. If you're getting an expensive motherboard, the inbuilt soundcard should suffice.
- I've heard the Maximus V Gene (motherboard) is really good for overclocking if you're looking to do that

Everything else seems alrightish. Some people will tell you to pick one brand over another, mostly preference but read some reviews to be sure.

If you're looking for good performance; splurge on the CPU, GPU, everything else is less important as long as compatability is fine
February 14, 2013 12:37:06 PM

Hi CarbonWyre!

I agree with the rest on the Core i-7 3770K being the better choice. There was a comparison review on the i7-3770K and the FX-8350 done awhile back (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-core-i7-377...).
Quote:
The only way we can make AMD's FX-8350 look like a better gaming value than Intel's Core i7-3770K (specifically in the games and at the settings we used to test) is if the rest of the system is free. Because the rest of the system is never free, the FX-8350 never serves up better high-end gaming value.

I also agree with En Passant that the onboard sound should be excellent.

If you want to look at more builds Logical Increments (www.logicalincrements.com) has great suggestions on what parts to pick for building a pc.
February 14, 2013 3:54:43 PM

En Passant said:
From what I know:
- Get the Intel 3770k, anything higher starts costing a lot more (i.e 3970X is $1000)
- 32GB RAM is just throwing money away. 16GB is already overkill. 8GB will cover most games. RAM is cheap to upgrade so if you really feel 16GB isn't enough, then buy more. A common misconception is that "More Ram = More Speed", 32GB of ram will do you nothing if your system is only currently using 4GBs
- You don't really need a soundcard unless you're an audiophile with high quality headphones and jacks. If you're getting an expensive motherboard, the inbuilt soundcard should suffice.
- I've heard the Maximus V Gene (motherboard) is really good for overclocking if you're looking to do that

Everything else seems alrightish. Some people will tell you to pick one brand over another, mostly preference but read some reviews to be sure.

If you're looking for good performance; splurge on the CPU, GPU, everything else is less important as long as compatability is fine

Oh I understand the fact that more ram =/= more speed, I just do a lot at the same time and get tired of being limited. I'd like to build a system that is higher enough that I don't have to worry about how many different things I'm doing or how much it can handle. The point of this is to making a gaming/3D editing/movie editing computer that can do what I want when I want, whatever that means. I don't like having to play limbo with a low set benchmark.
February 14, 2013 7:06:34 PM

I7 3770K is best chip for money. might i ask why you need 3 670's? Sorry been outta this thread for a bit
February 15, 2013 4:22:43 AM

Rockdpm said:
I7 3770K is best chip for money. might i ask why you need 3 670's? Sorry been outta this thread for a bit

Because I want. XD It's just a matter of I'm trying to put the bar so high for what it can do that I never have to worry about what I want to do.
February 15, 2013 5:25:08 AM

Well hey if you have the money then go for it.
!