SB Live! Platinum Setup

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I just got the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 personal audio system. Oooooh. I upgraded from the Altec-Lansing ADA 70. The Altecs have better highs, but the Klipsch have thundering bass and, of course, 6 speaker surround sound. My question is with regard to the SB Live! software. It is very complex and I'm too lazy to read the rather extensive manual or play around with all the settings. Is there a perfect setup for music and games?

What?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I can't believe I just saw "perfect" and "Live!" in the same post. I must still be delirious from the fever I had.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Perhaps there is no perfect setup since now my SB Live! is no longer working. When Win2k loads up I hear the music but no more sound. Not from CD's. Not from .wav files. Not from MP3's. I'm assuming it's some sort of driver/software issue. I'm going to try to fix this tonight. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would have defended Creative products to the grave a few years ago. But since this situation and a bad DVD from Creative I'm really down on them. Anybody have that Phillips Acoustic Edge sound card? If I smash this card into little bits tonight I'll be needing a new one. Any suggestions?

What?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Smash the card into little bits? Another Live owner discovers the proper way to install it :tongue:

I've got a Seismic Edge that I'm going to run..err..."PCB stress tests" on soon. I recommend a Hercules Game Theater XP, since you apparently want extra hardware (the Platinum).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Which driver are you using? I am using Windows 2000 too and I have similar problem with the newest driver on Creative's web site. I just use the one I download before and the card work fine now.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Well my patience won out and I got the freakin' thing to work. I tried reinstalling the new drivers. No dice. I tried installing the old drivers after removing everything. Still nothing. Then I realized I had saved the drivers that came after the old but before the new. Now everything works PERFECTLY. Yes, PERFECTLY. And no I don't need all the bells and whistles of the Platinum, but what the hell? I may need those bells and whistles someday. Yeah, right. I've gone through 3 mobos with VIA southbridges since owning this card and have never had a problem. Although I never had a 5.1 setup. Perhaps the annoyance I just went through is one of the reasons why so many people bash this card? What's your beef with it Fatburger? Oh, and by the way, I recommend the Stanley 51-848 28 oz., checkered face, hatchet handle hammer for the "stress test" on that Seismic Edge. Approximately 628 lbs. of pressure should work. Let me know how it turns out as I may have to try that same "stress test" if this card does anything weird again.

What?