Sign in with
Your question
Solved

LGA 775 Upgrade to Which CPU?

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2013 11:05:00 AM

Hi guys!
I am looking at my options for upgrading my CPU and right now this is the cpu I currentyly have Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400 along with this Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard . And when I built this system I was planning to replace it sometime in the future with a system built around an i5 or i7 but I don't think I will have the money to do that for a long so I am going to hopefully upgrade the CPU with a quad core CPU and hopefully add a second GPU. My question to you all is what are my options in the 250 dollar range for a new CPU? I have looked at the different options but I am looking for a proefessional opinion since this computer needs to last at least 5 more years. lol

Also where would I be able to buy SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card Because I would really like to have a crossfire setup for my gaming.

Umm if you all need a full hardware list let me know and I will make one. Thanks guys!

More about : lga 775 upgrade cpu

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2013 11:32:43 AM

get a q9400 or something. q95xx is better, just stay away from q8xx. those q8xx dont oc well
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a c 134 V Motherboard
February 13, 2013 11:38:49 AM

You can find Intel Core2Quad Q9650 processors on E-bay for under $200. That's about the best (reasonable) processor you're going to be able to put into that system.

As for that graphics card, it doesn't have to be from Sapphire. Any Crossfire Ready 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Radeon HD4870 should work for you. Unfortunately, I'm not finding any on PCPartPicker, so you may be searching E-bay again.

-Wolf sends
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2013 11:41:47 AM

get a q9400 or something. q95xx is better, just stay away from q8xx. those q8xx dont oc well
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2013 11:48:14 AM

I upgraded my e8400 to a q9550. Runs greats, easy overclocker as long as you have a good CPU fan. I agree with Wolfshadw, buy from ebay, that's where I got mine.
February 14, 2013 10:51:27 PM

Hi guys and thanks for the replies! So what if I have no plans to OC my hardware? I have never done it before mainly because I felt it wasn't necessary to play games. Would the same recommendations still hold true?

Also what if I upgraded my computer to a board that would take an i3/i5/i7 and bought a cheap i3? Would that be cheaper in the end? lol Sorry I am running the options through my mind and a little extra input is always helpful.

Best solution

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 11:16:40 PM

$250 is completely wasted on trying to upgrade socket 775 . Even a 775 quad is a slow power hungry processor by todays standards .

Instead try an upgrade like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
FX 6300 + asrock motherboard $205

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$245

Massively more capable than any socket 775 processor

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 11:50:07 PM

Outlander does have a point. You'll get more performance from an i3 over a Core2. But it's up to you if you want to upgrade or overhaul.
February 15, 2013 12:32:40 AM

Yeah I am sitting here contemplating what I want to do. I might go with what Outlander suggests... Probably crazy if I don't lol
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2013 2:13:32 AM

DreamsofSilicon said:
Sorry guys I keep asking questions but would this PSU PC Power and Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Run the new Motherboard and cpu plus 2 of the video cards I linked fine or would I have to upgrade that also? And how can you tell? Been trying to figure this stuff out. lol

Probably not. It is better to have single gpu setups then crossfire.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2013 4:35:06 AM

You wont find another 4870 anywhere new so check online auctions .

But again its probably not worth trying to crossfire one anyway . By 2011 standards they are a very bottom end graphics card . You could spend $120 on a radeon 7770 and get better performance
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2013 4:42:55 AM

Outlander_04 said:
You wont find another 4870 anywhere new so check online auctions .

But again its probably not worth trying to crossfire one anyway . By 2011 standards they are a very bottom end graphics card . You could spend $120 on a radeon 7770 and get better performance

Yes.
February 15, 2013 9:56:45 AM

Ok so I figured if I am going to get a new CPU and Motherboard I might as well get a better graphics card so I think I found the one I want but is SAPPHIRE 100355L Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card better than HIS H785F2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card or does it not really matter between who sells what card? And is this the best for the amount of money?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2013 2:52:11 PM

You may also want to double check the sort of rams you have now and the sort of rams the new mobo/cpu combo can swallow. This meaning that the P45 mobo you have now uses DDR2 dimms while the new mobo's as of late 2009 gradually moved onto DDR3 dimms. You could probably make the Dimms fit but they wont operate.

Good call going for a new setup now, as I'm running my Q9550 to the very last drop at this point and its already 3~4years old. Getting one now would be a total waste of maoney as there are FAR better(power draw, maltitasking, TDP and OC'ability) to be had from todays chips.

In fact if you draw a comparison between todays mobos and the yesteryears boards, you'll see that there's less on the mobo that you actually cool, thus the heat dump inside your case is limited to the CPU VRM's and the circuitry of the GPU.

The only distinguiching physical features a board maker can offer are:
custom PCB(which would also mean dif power draw/delivery and connectors used)
custom/unique cooling solution
display outputs that may cater to your needs(i.e: 5 monitor outputs or 4)

The details found under closer inspection would be:
pre applied/factory overclock(can spring from the GPU's PCB used)
if unique PCB, the ability for overclocking a card will vary

The real bang for buck with GPU's is trying to find the highest clocks on a GPU with the lowest pricing of say a 7870 with about anywhere between 200Mhz~400MHz memory clock bump(if not more).

Whats your budget for a full system upgrade though? considering you'll need a CPU/Mobo/Ram/Gpu upgrade(mind you the absolute max you can blast out of your wallet) :p 
February 15, 2013 10:15:19 PM

Lutfij said:
You may also want to double check the sort of rams you have now and the sort of rams the new mobo/cpu combo can swallow. This meaning that the P45 mobo you have now uses DDR2 dimms while the new mobo's as of late 2009 gradually moved onto DDR3 dimms. You could probably make the Dimms fit but they wont operate.

Good call going for a new setup now, as I'm running my Q9550 to the very last drop at this point and its already 3~4years old. Getting one now would be a total waste of maoney as there are FAR better(power draw, maltitasking, TDP and OC'ability) to be had from todays chips.

In fact if you draw a comparison between todays mobos and the yesteryears boards, you'll see that there's less on the mobo that you actually cool, thus the heat dump inside your case is limited to the CPU VRM's and the circuitry of the GPU.

The only distinguiching physical features a board maker can offer are:
custom PCB(which would also mean dif power draw/delivery and connectors used)
custom/unique cooling solution
display outputs that may cater to your needs(i.e: 5 monitor outputs or 4)

The details found under closer inspection would be:
pre applied/factory overclock(can spring from the GPU's PCB used)
if unique PCB, the ability for overclocking a card will vary

The real bang for buck with GPU's is trying to find the highest clocks on a GPU with the lowest pricing of say a 7870 with about anywhere between 200Mhz~400MHz memory clock bump(if not more).

Whats your budget for a full system upgrade though? considering you'll need a CPU/Mobo/Ram/Gpu upgrade(mind you the absolute max you can blast out of your wallet) :p 

Well it was around 250 dollars I was going to get a new CPU but somone pointed out that it would be cheaper to get a mother board CPU combo from new egg plus ram for around 50. Then I figured I would just upgrade the GPU since they have semi cheap cards that run better than the one I currently have. But now absolute max would be around 500 dollars.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 9:40:43 AM

Save that cash and hold out a lil bit until Haswell is released. If it isn't what everyone(the media and intel) had hyped it up to be, you could always get the prev gen tech for a tad cheaper than now. In other news, you could continue to save up some more to add to that $500 GT.

So you can expect to see
Haswell for CPU's
New lineup on mobo's cos of socket change
Rumored to have DDR4 support but hey if its DDR3 then it'll be dirt cheap.
GTX7xx/HD8xxx for GPU's.

^ you've got nothing to loose.
February 16, 2013 5:09:08 PM

Lutfij said:
Save that cash and hold out a lil bit until Haswell is released. If it isn't what everyone(the media and intel) had hyped it up to be, you could always get the prev gen tech for a tad cheaper than now. In other news, you could continue to save up some more to add to that $500 GT.

So you can expect to see
Haswell for CPU's
New lineup on mobo's cos of socket change
Rumored to have DDR4 support but hey if its DDR3 then it'll be dirt cheap.
GTX7xx/HD8xxx for GPU's.

^ you've got nothing to loose.

Yeah I would like to wait and save some money for the new technologies coming out but at this time I am lucky I am able to have the money I do have to buy the items I have listed. Otherwise I would in a heartbeat. I think for the most part the new stuff will last me a while. At least until my situation changes.

But for what I am spending the video card I linked is decent for the money right? And I am going with the the parts outlander linked since that part is a no brainer. lol Thanks Outlander!

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 5:46:46 PM

The 7850 is a good card .

It will play all current games at 1080p really well
February 16, 2013 7:34:01 PM

I really appreciate the guidance and help and suggestions you guys gave me. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone. :) 
February 16, 2013 7:34:51 PM

Best answer selected by DreamsofSilicon.
!