Low profile PCI-E x16 slot

iliani007

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I have a dell optiplex gx620 small form factory.It has a low profile PCI-E x16 slot.
But in Dell manual it says that small form factories PC has only 25W in PCI-E x16 slot
My friend has a hd5570 from saphire and i want to buy this card from newegg because is my best option for now.
But i have sen that this card draw 40W of power.
I have a 275W PSU and i cant change it!

Will this card work on my PC ?

If not can you suggest me the best option?

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
It should be fine. The slot on the motherboard can provide up to 75 watts of power. The difference between 25 and 40W is very small, the PSU shouldn't be a problem.
Dont forget to uninstall geforce drivers and install the AMD ones!

To my knowledge they make dell power supplies that can fit so that may be something that you would have to do. I mean when you consider that a cpu probably draws around 100 watts that's already a third of the power he could probably fit a super low end card that only drew power from the slot and he could manage to get away barely I'm sure.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Ahh the dell optiplex, Your right everything is packed in there with not much space.

This is the thing you find with optiplex cases designed to fit around the motherboard.

Leaving not much space, and a pain in the ass to upgrade. I could shoot the guy who designed such a case, but with optiplex cases little thought was put into them for future upgrading.
The best bet would be to take the whole thing out and buy another case to fit it into. Then you would not have a problem fitting a 5570 card with a longer fixing plate to the case. Obviously the 275w power supply will be on its limit so you may want to look into buying a PSU on its own say 500w to be on the safe side.

Are you saying the Pci-e slot can only provide 25w from the motherboard. because as you say if it does it could be a problem running a 5570 card.

If I had to be honest I would put it to bed and start again. As said its a nightmare to upgrade dell optiplex systems due to the stupid design, The motherboard is about the cheapest they can get there hands on to build these, so i am not surprised it there is a constraint on the power the pci-e graphics slot can provide.

If I had to be honest I would put it to bed and start again. As said its a nightmare to upgrade dell optiplex systems due to the stupid design, The motherboard is about the cheapest they can get there hands on to build these, so i am not surprised it there is a constraint on the power the pci-e graphics slot can provide.

Does this surprise you at all coming from Dell hahhahahaha! Mr Weasel.