Is my graphics card working?

Leoj01

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I recently built my first pc, everything is working fine except the graphics card. I did exactly what it asked me to do, like disabling the on board graphics and installing the drivers but when I open device manager it doesn't show my graphics card on the displays. I I'm sure I've installed into the computer right because I've done it multiple times exactly like it says. One wired thing though, although it doesn't show up, I can still plug my Hdmi to Hdmi cable that came with the card into the monitor and then the card itself, not the intergrated and a display shows up. Does this mean that it's working because I've installed the drivers right and a display opens up, or is it just my computer reverting back to the intergrated (which say are disabled). Another thing to say is I can see that my graphics card is lighting up and the fans are spinning, and I have an asus motherboard. Any help would be very appreciated as it is very frustrating, thanks.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Ok, so you say it boots and you can see the post screen, and you can hit the key to get into the bios.

You should be getting one beep from the bios so that tells you it sees all the hardware and is reporting everything is ok, however you did not state what graphics card model it is or its brand Ati or nvidia.

If you find it is working ok at boot, but it is not working right when you load the system into windows and not listed in device manager of windows then.

The cause may be you have not plugged in the extra power supply to the back of the graphics card that may be needed, the 12v pci-e connectors from the PSU.
Also have a check if the 8 pin 12v is connected to the motherboard located next to the Cpu socket. You see when booting the graphics card is in low power mode, but as soon as the graphics driver is loaded, the power demand of the card will increase so if the power connectors as said are not connected the result may be it does not show properly in windows. Make sure in the bios that the default graphics output is set as the Pci-e or Peg option in the bios.

Leoj01

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I have done all of that, my card is connected to the power supply by two 8 pin connectors so I know I'm okay there. Also in my bios I have set it to pci-e, and yet it doesn't show up but when plugged in it still comes up with a display. It is a sapphire hd 7950. Could it be working just not showing up in device manager?

If you are plugged into the card and you are getting a picture, the card is working. That's like saying my car doesn't work, yet you're driving down the street in it as you say it.

In your device manager do you see standard vga adapter? Go to AMD and run their driver detection tool, it will tell you if you are is in, which it is if you get a picture out of it.

A-skywalker-115

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

the best driver would be a one downloaded from sapphiretech.com , look in the website for a driver in products section.

Leoj01

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Yes I will try that, all I see in device manager at the moment is the standered VGA adapter, but I guess what you say is right, the card must be working, I think it probably is the drivers.

Yes, when your system doesn't have drivers, it reverts to standard vga drivers to get something on the screen long enough for you to install drivers. Go to AMD.com and either download the drivers or run their automated tool that will do it for you.

hytecgowthaman

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Update windows .Automatically detect and install latest best driver and fix all issues.
Update bios.
Update hdd/ssd firmware.
Update Gpu firmware .
Full Scan system with "SUPERANTISPYWARE" Freeware.