Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Router for Large House, also suggestion for range extender

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 30, 2012 7:37:29 PM

What wireless g/n router for under $200 will give me the most range?

If I find that I still dont have enough signal all over, in what way would be best to extend the range?

The main load will be media sharing, streaming HD hopefully.
a c 202 F Wireless
January 30, 2012 7:55:26 PM

The best way to extend your wireless range is to have a wired access point or 2nd router configured as an AP) at the other end of the house. Repeaters cut your bandwidth in half so they are not a great solution unless nothing else will work.

So for what you have ($200) a pair of THESE one as a router and the other as an AP (wired with CAT 5e) at the opposite end of the house would be very effective.
January 30, 2012 8:01:12 PM

RealBeast said:
The best way to extend your wireless range is to have a wired access point or 2nd router configured as an AP) at the other end of the house. Repeaters cut your bandwidth in half so they are not a great solution unless nothing else will work.

Thanks.

Do most home (sub $200) routers get the same range? (was thinking a linksys e series)
Related resources
a c 202 F Wireless
January 30, 2012 8:03:55 PM

Linksys E4200 is excellent but way overpriced IMO compared to the Netgear N600. They should all get similar range if they have the dual band N, but for an optimal wireless network in a large house I find that an AP makes a huge difference.
January 9, 2014 5:35:59 AM

RealBeast said:

So for what you have ($200) a pair of THESE one as a router and the other as an AP (wired with CAT 5e) at the opposite end of the house would be very effective.

How would you set up the 2nd router as AP and waht is a CAT 5e. I live in a very old (1770's) large large farm house. We are having major problems getting signals to 1st floor rooms and room on far side of house. We have the desktop and have 2 people on laptops and another on his WII, and 3 phones that connect to the router. Sorry but on hardware I don't have a clue.
January 9, 2014 5:36:47 AM

RealBeast said:

How would you set up the 2nd router as AP and waht is a CAT 5e. I live in a very old (1770's) large large farm house. We are having major problems getting signals to 1st floor rooms and room on far side of house. We have the desktop and have 2 people on laptops and another on his WII, and 3 phones that connect to the router. Sorry but on hardware I don't have a clue.
!