Sign in with
Your question

Problem setting up an XP desktop as wireless access point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 30, 2012 8:56:51 PM

Hello. I'm sorry if this question has been answered already, but I couldn't find any similar threads using the search bar.

I have set up a home network some time ago, using a 4-port wired router. All four ports are in use, one of which by my own desktop computer running Windows XP Home, SP3.

I recently received a new laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). Because I can't afford a wireless router at the moment, I've been trying to set up my Windows XP computer as a wireless access point (using a Wireless LAN PCI card), so I can connect my laptop to it and share my internet connection.

However, when I try to set up an ad hoc network on my XP computer, it doesn't show up in the list of available networks on my laptop, though it does show up on the XP computer, with the message that it's waiting for other computers to join.

The same thing happens the other way around. When I try setting up an ad hoc network on my laptop, it doesn't show up on my desktop computer. So I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong here.

Can someone please give me step by step instructions, or direct me to a good tutorial, on how to share an internet connection using a wireless connection between Windows XP and Windows 7, with Windows XP being the computer connected to the internet?
January 30, 2012 10:07:47 PM

look for something called ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and see if that will work
January 30, 2012 10:25:46 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried using ICS to share my internet connection from my desktop computer with my laptop. However, enabling ICS changes the host's IP address to 192.168.0.1, which causes a conflict with my router. Because I first want to make sure this will work before I go and change my router's IP address and reconfigure every computer, I decided to try setting up an ad hoc network with ICS disabled for now. When I have successfully set up an ad hoc network, I will enable ICS.

Or is it only possible to create an ad hoc network with ICS enabled?
February 2, 2012 7:39:07 PM

I followed the steps described in an article from Microsoft called Ad Hoc Internet Sharing with Microsoft Windows XP. However, it seems that if you set up ad hoc internet sharing on a computer running Windows XP, only computers running Windows XP will be able to connect to it.

Is there any way to connect a Windows 7 computer to an ad hoc network hosted on a Windows XP computer?
!