Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ways to bump down the price on this computer?

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2013 2:24:23 PM

First off, I want to say that I am not completely sure this is the correct forum for this, but I'm trying.

Second, it is a gaming computer, so don't say it will be too powerful, when I know that it is not very powerful to start with, compared to some of the awesome computers out there.

Third off, Here are the parts:

Case: Commander Mid Tower ATX Computer Case

Power Supply: 950 Watt Silencer MK2 ATX Power Supply

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k
Hard Drive: Barracuda 2TB SATA 6 GB/s

RAM: 16 GB Corsair XMS3 Series RAM

CD/DVD Drive: Lite-ON 24X SATA DVD Burner

Graphics Card: 2x Evga 04G-P4-2686-KR Geforce GTX 680

Sound Card: Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card

I am fairly certain it will work, but I"m wondering if there is anyway to get it down from the 2400 it will cost after the monitor and keyboard I want, without reducing the performance pretty much at all?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2013 2:42:32 PM

you can save money by going to 8 gigs of ram, going over 8 will not pring you performance improvements in games
dont get dedicated audio...use the integrated one for now and if you are still not happy with the quality then go for dedicated audio card
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2013 2:44:45 PM

Well you could drop the sound card, switch to 670s, switch to 8GB (2x4) RAM, get a 3570k, and get an asus v pro (all the sabertooth is is plastic "armor" which makes it run hotter). Also, add a cooler (212 evo at least), and buy a little better case. I would also recommend a modular psu, try Corsair TX 750.
Score
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2013 2:46:26 PM

If you will be playing on a single monitor, get a single GTX670 or HD7970. First, you only need one graphics card for 1920x1080, and second the GTX670 and HD7970 are a lot cheaper than the GTX680 for almost the same power.
Eliminate the sound card, at least until you've tested the mobo sound. Most people are quite satisfied by motherboard sound, especially on a premium product like the Sabertooth.
With just one graphics card, you can reduce the PSU to 650W, which will further cut the cost. PC Power & Cooling is fine, or anything built by Seasonic (e.g. their own, or XFX, or Corsair AX).
Next, although it will probably only save $30-$40, get just 8GB of RAM.
Finally, for games, an i5-3570K will perform as well as the i7-3770K and save another chunk.
Score
February 13, 2013 4:00:34 PM

I forgot to add that I will be recording and editing gaming commentary footage with this computer. Still undecided on two monitors, and am trying to build a computer that won't become outdated for a while (Until I save enough to upgrade to SLI 690's)
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2013 4:30:27 PM

You can keep the 3770K since you may need the horsepower to record but drop the lame mobo. See this article and understand you're getting nothing over a $140 mobo (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6697/asrock-fatal1ty-x79-...).

Try the onboard sound first.

670 if you must SLI (wait on Titan in a couple days first tho and see).

Get one monitor or three - do you really want to do any kind of action or FPS with a huge bezel splitting your crosshairs?
Score

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2013 4:48:11 PM

KaoticSoulz said:
so don't say it will be too powerful, when I know that it is not very powerful to start with, compared to some of the awesome computers out there.

Uhm.... ok? This is basically top of the line. If it is purely for gaming, you only need a i5. Asrock extreme4 has an onboard soundcard, no need for an extra one. In my opinion, Eyefinity has more perks then physx. Plus amd's cards are cheaper.. This setup is ready for eyefinity. If you want to save some money, drop two of the moniters and one of the graphics cards and you will be able to run single moniter 1080p ulra settings gaming.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DjcS
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DjcS/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DjcS/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.97 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 600T ATX Mid Tower Case ($133.56 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($157.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2370.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-13 13:47 EST-0500)
February 13, 2013 5:04:17 PM

I can honestly say this. Your post was... Completely and totally (Yes. I am using redundancy to emphasize my point) AWESOME. This was exactly what I hoped for/didn't think I'd get.

The processor, my only concern won't be powerful enough for editing videos, but I can take that risk. The cooler for it, well, wasn't needed with the i7 because it had an included heatsink and fan, but I can deal with paying more for that, because the core costs less. THe motherboard I just went with what looked to be awesome, because I don't honestly know what to look for in a motherboard.

Memory, I picked 16 for God only knows why. Not even me.

Storage, I picked 2TB because of videos, but now I think about it, the are only about a gigabyte each after compression, and I can store excess ones in an external if I need to, or even just delete them.

I didn't think about other graphics cards, and honestly, it looks like the 7970's are a little better than the 680's in some regards, and are only worse in some by a very little percentage.

The case, I was looking to spend less, but as this whole computer will cost less with pretty much same performance (Checked them all out before replying), I can deal with that.

The power supply I honestly didn't know what to get. I added it all up and got around 650, and that's probably wrong, and I got something more powerful than I needed. I went overkill on this :p 

The optical drive, I was trying to find a cheap one, but this looks like it is a blu-ray disk reading as well, and that completely awesome. Didn't expect to get one.

Operating system, I forgot to include in a price, and was going to get this one anyways.

The fact that you included three monitors in this, is just totally awesome. I think my desk will fit them, and it looks they are actually cheaper than the monitor I looked at, but are the exact same specs.

The price is about the same price as what I was looking at before, without a keyboard, so the fact that you got it with three monitors, and some better stuff where needed, and for a slightly smaller price tag... So awesome I could faint.

THANK YOU. I will... bookmark this I guess. Not sure if you can rep in this forum, but will if you can.

EDIT: Of course the quote didn't work...

Also, forgot to add that I'm not very adept at computer parts, and I didn't know whether this was a pretty good computer or a mid-line computer. Should have said that, and not what I said, as I came off as arrogant.
Score
February 13, 2013 5:04:48 PM

Best answer selected by KaoticSoulz.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2013 8:13:34 PM

Your most welcome. Message me if you have any concerns/questions :)  That cooler is for if you overclock as the stock one wont handle it. There are some other case choices too if you want.

Take a look at the haf xm and see if you like it better. Both the 600t and haf xm are awesome it just personal preference.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2013 11:00:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Onus
Score
!