Radeon HD 6850 dead?

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
When i turned on my PC it starts but i get no screen image. Considering my motherboard doesn't support a speaker, i can't hear any beeps so i can't determine what it is. It starts as usual buy obviously it doesn't start windows because i can't hear any startup sound and the monitor stays in stand by mode. I'm guessing the most likely faulty from the start radeon 6850 is dead and i know that windows 7 doesn't start if a graphics card is dead or damaged. what do you guys think?

if your mb has onboard gpu. power the pc down..unplug it from the wall let the mb drain and pull the gpu and boot from the onboard video. the issue right now is it the pc or the monitor that bad. does the monitor work on another pc or laptop..and does the pc have video on another system. the other issue it might not be the video card but your power supply may have lost a leg.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

The monitor works fine, the power supply is a few month old antec HCG 620W. i don't have an integrated GPU. I doubt the system uses more than 250W on full load. Though it started ok and everything was working fine in the second atempt of turning it on. What i want to know is what did cause it to not start properly? the power supply and motherboard are only a month or two old. the GPU was bought this year on 9th of june and the hard drive is 5 years old though the hard drive can't cause this problem.

with computer or electronic parts there realy no set life for them..some can fail on first power up or some can last for years. the issue comes from the supply chain to the company that builds the parts. most vendors like seagate and asus buy parts on the spot market..they try and buy parts as cheap as they can. the smart vendor dont do that they have 3 or 4 vendors that the qa there parts and then stick with those vendors to keep there mb or hard drive from having mass recalls or field failures. bad parts do slip in a few years ago there was a cap issue that got a lot of mb and hard drive vendors..the cap rotted out within 12-24 months. comp like seagate had to recall a lot of there drives due to bad parts. that why in todays power supplys for pc you have to look at how well built it is and the reviews. a lot of ps vendor that build cheap power supplys..ones that good for low end crap pc. ones that have high doe rates or just pop. just google cheap power supply and look at all the you tube videos of them poping when load tested.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

i'm already aware about cheap power supplies and watched people blowing them up on load and some having fun by shorting them by pouring water on them. though my power supply is of great quality. i've seen reviews about it running a high end GPU (GTX 580) and a core i7 without problems and they overclocked the system and it still stayed stable. with reviews like that you would thnik this won't break a sweat on a PC like mine. i have a new build and put the antec power supply in it and it ran perfectly, it isn't the power supply that caused a problem. i ran it on a GTX 670 and an FX 8320 processor which draws more power than the PC i use it on. i think the motherboard is a problem but i sure hope not, if its the 6850 then i'll only be happy because i couldn't wait to get rid of it as soon as i bought it