Sign in with
Your question

Building a desktop for my dad

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2013 4:28:15 PM

okay my dad is an ict consultant and has his own business he wants me to build him a pc because it will probably be cheaper than buying a ready made one of one of the major companies and its pretty fun building a pc as i have built my own gaming pc.
well anyways he said he wants an i7 i dont think he really needs an i7 because all he does is use like spreadsheets email and brows the internet and sometimes watch movies but like all of us we all want an i7 haha. he also has two monitors and wantys a dual display but his current pc cant do this so i am assuming that he will need a graphics card to do this but correct me if i am wrong. currently i have a gtx 550ti in my pc and want to upgrade and im thinking about selling it to him as i know he will never be gaming on his pc so it will be more than capeable for anything he wants. but this is the components he wants

8gb ram not gaming ram something cheap but still good for processing
i7 ( ivy bridge) should i get a 3770k or 3770s or the 3820 ? i dont know the difference
i think i will need a micro ATX mobo as he wants a small case that can fit on his desk
1 tb harddrive (already have that )
psu (im not sure how big a psu will be needed for this build so any help would be appreciated )

thank you for reading i know its quite long but any help with this would be really appreciated with choosing these parts .and i have an AMD processor and mobo in my build ( want intel but cant afford it :(  ) so im not sure which cpus are compatible

More about : building desktop dad

February 13, 2013 4:34:01 PM

Check the 500$ All in one PC in my signature!

It's a Quad Core APU build with 8gb RAM and SSD! It seems it's all he needs!
February 13, 2013 4:38:03 PM

thats not really what he is looking for as he wants an i7 and said he does not want an amd chip he wants a pc that will be good for years . but thanks for the help
Related resources
February 13, 2013 4:38:51 PM

Just tell him to buy a prebuilt. The last thing you want to do is put yourself on the hook when your dad's computer goes down and it costs him business.

February 13, 2013 4:39:11 PM

ssj_jake said:
thats not really what he is looking for as he wants an i7 and said he does not want an amd chip he wants a pc that will be good for years . but thanks for the help

He's going to buy an i7 just for browsing the internet?
February 13, 2013 4:39:43 PM

What kind of budget are we working with here, and do you need monitor/keyboard/mouse/OS or not?

I agree that i7 is way overkill for your needs, just get an i3 or a low end i5.
February 13, 2013 4:42:39 PM

we dont need a keyboard mouse or os i can take care of all of that :)  . and yes he wants an i7 you really dont understand he just wants an i7 . the budget is around £600 uk . and he wont mind if it goes down because he has laptops and *** he can use too and is looking forward to building the pc with me :) 
February 13, 2013 4:43:54 PM

Just go with the 3770 none k version it will be the cheaper choice and there's no reason to OC with your dads machine. The i7 is major overkill for his needs but the customer gets what the customer wants ;) . Moving your current gpu to his machine is a good idea; however, the integrated graphics will manage a dual screen for his needs with ease so a GPU is not really required. The ram just go with 8 GB of ddr3 1600. Low profile most likely.

Like g unit said. Give him a budget and he will put together a solid build for you. He is one of the best (imo) of making builds specific to users needs and wants. To many people on here give you a wishlist of what they want and or advertise their site.
February 13, 2013 4:48:34 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Just go with the 3770 none k version it will be the cheaper choice and there's no reason to OC with your dads machine. The i7 is major overkill for his needs but the customer gets what the customer wants ;) . Moving your current gpu to his machine is a good idea; however, the integrated graphics will manage a dual screen for his needs with ease so a GPU is not really required. The ram just go with 8 GB of ddr3 1600. Low profile most likely.

Like g unit said. Give him a budget and he will put together a solid build for you. He is one of the best (imo) of making builds specific to users needs and wants. To many people on here give you a wishlist of what they want and or advertise their site.

okay thank you that really helps alot ! how big of a psu do you think would be necessary ? and i know the integrated graphics are pretty good on the ivy bridge chips but will i need a special mobo with two display ports because most i have seen only have one ?
February 13, 2013 5:19:35 PM

ssj_jake said:
okay thank you that really helps alot ! how big of a psu do you think would be necessary ? and i know the integrated graphics are pretty good on the ivy bridge chips but will i need a special mobo with two display ports because most i have seen only have one ?

A lot of mobos will come with a vga port and like a display port which you can just get a display port to dvi/vga adapter and run two monitors off it. A mobo with two integrated options won't be hard to find. BUT i do like your idea of swapping out your card and getting yourself a better one ;)  I think that would be a good upgrade for you and easily sold to your dad lol.

As far as the PSU that is going to depend on what you do. If you do indeed use your old 550 then a 600 watt psu from a good brand (corsair, xfx, seasonic etc) will be more then enough. Again thou the very best bet is to post a budget. Find out what the limit your dad wants to spend. And a build suited to exactly that can be made. I would also recommend looking into an SSD for your dads build, it will give the overall experience a much more snappy feel.
February 13, 2013 5:22:58 PM

unoriginal1 said:
A lot of mobos will come with a vga port and like a display port which you can just get a display port to dvi/vga adapter and run two monitors off it. A mobo with two integrated options won't be hard to find. BUT i do like your idea of swapping out your card and getting yourself a better one ;)  I think that would be a good upgrade for you and easily sold to your dad lol.

As far as the PSU that is going to depend on what you do. If you do indeed use your old 550 then a 600 watt psu from a good brand (corsair, xfx, seasonic etc) will be more then enough. Again thou the very best bet is to post a budget. Find out what the limit your dad wants to spend. And a build suited to exactly that can be made. I would also recommend looking into an SSD for your dads build, it will give the overall experience a much more snappy feel.

thanks loads man this has really helped ! i think hes looking to spend around 600 quid so i think ill be able to get a decent pc and i cant believe i didnt even think about getting a ssd haha but yeah ill probably get him to invest in one of those too haha
February 13, 2013 5:43:41 PM

Quote:

You're better off getting a dedicated GPU - the onboard video is really only meant to handle basic functions.

ssj_jake said:
we dont need a keyboard mouse or os i can take care of all of that :)  . and yes he wants an i7 you really dont understand he just wants an i7 . the budget is around £600 uk . and he wont mind if it goes down because he has laptops and *** he can use too and is looking forward to building the pc with me :) 

Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£211.19 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£68.87 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£38.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.59 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card (£99.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.94 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£47.99 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £585.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-13 19:43 GMT+0000)
February 13, 2013 5:48:47 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

You're better off getting a dedicated GPU - the onboard video is really only meant to handle basic functions.

Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£211.19 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£68.87 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£38.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.59 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card (£99.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.94 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£47.99 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £585.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-13 19:43 GMT+0000)

that is exactly what i am looking for thank you soo much !!
!