Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Old psu on an ivy bridge setup

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2013 4:38:03 PM

Hello all,

my father in law needs a new setup, he wants to minimize the cost so I need to think creatively.
I'm going to build an ivy bridge setup and I'm thinking of reusing an old psu that I have, the issue is the connector, the old psu has 20 pin connection while the mb has 24, is it a good idea to reuse the psu or I should get an new one?

Thanks.

More about : psu ivy bridge setup

Best solution

February 13, 2013 5:06:54 PM

It's probably best to get a new one. You don't want to risk frying a new build with an old PSU. You can get good PSU's for less than $50.

I would go with a Corsair or XFX.

XFX is higher quality, but the Corsair would get the job done.

If you give us specs on the build, we can give a recommendation on the size.
February 13, 2013 5:15:47 PM

If you're just looking for something cheap but decent, the antec VP-450 is a great model (better than Corsair's CX series in some ways, but not quite as good as XFX) that can be found for about $30. However, I wouldn't solidify my recommendation without seeing the system's hardware specs first.
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2013 5:15:55 PM

if you really want you can get an adapter but its not worth it and probably doesnt have enough power for everything anyways
m
l
February 13, 2013 5:19:41 PM

06yfz450ridr said:
if you really want you can get an adapter but its not worth it and probably doesnt have enough power for everything anyways

Why would you get an adapter? A20 pin connector fits right into a 24 pin slot, just with four pins of the slot unused (the same is true for a 24 pin connector in a 20 pin slot, but with four pins on the connector hanging over the slot). An adapter would be worse because it's more cable to go through (slightly increasing energy consumption and decreasing energy efficiency and increasing heat generation) and more points that can fail.
m
l
February 14, 2013 4:41:59 PM

thanks, as I thought.
m
l
February 14, 2013 4:42:15 PM

Best answer selected by daggs.
m
l
!