What to look for in a game server router?

NecessaryEvil4

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I host a dedicated Crysis Wars game server for me and my friends to play on, as well as a low-traffic website and TeamSpeak 3 voice server. While playing in the game server, players report occasional "disconnect" symbols, but I do not get them (I know that it is happening because I see players stop moving for a second). Also, the website page sometimes fails to load and a simple refresh loads the page properly. I have been told that my old D-Link dl-604 router is to blame for these connection interruptions.

My knowledge of routers is limited and do not know what to look for in a new router. For example, reading the latest issue of Maximum PC, I see wired benchmark results of a router with tests like "TCP Throughput", "PC to NAS", "NAS to PC", etc. When googling wired router benchamark results, is there a specific benchmark that I should focus on that applies to what I would be using the router for? Or are all of these specifications important for running a game server/website?

NecessaryEvil4

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks for the help. Right now I'm looking at the D-Link DIR-655 as it has support for QoS which should prioritize my gaming traffic, but do not really want to pay $100. Will keep searching.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Its worth looking for a router which can be flashed with new firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT. They unlock/add QoS and other advanced settings.

You should be able to pickup a Linksys WRT54GL for about $50

NecessaryEvil4

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion. Newegg is saying the Linksys WRT54GL is "Compliant with the IEEE 802.11b/g protocol". I don't know what that is but it is to my understanding that 802.11n is the standard now. Should I not be concerned about this specification?