Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need some expert pc builders overview pl

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2013 5:08:41 PM

Hi,

First of all I would like to say hi to the fourm and just explain my pc back ground and where I am intending to head. As of now then I a very old PC that has served me well but is now so out dated that she is need to be put aside...

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
Motherboard: Gigabyte M57SLI-S4
Memory: 3gb DDR2
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Being married and with other obligations then my new pc has allways been put aside untill now where I can finaly get the GREEN sign and get the project starting.

I want to go for and build around the LGA 2011 3930k - this computer will be used for some video editing and gaming and my budget is around.

Budget Range: 2600 Euros

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming - Video editing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.pccomponentes.com & www.coolmod.com

Location: City, State/Region, Country: Palma de Mallorca - SPAIN

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Now.....

I have some things allready in mind like the H100I and the case Corsair HAF -X (I know I might be over kill but I love the case) but my main question is the motherboard:

Either the Asus Rampage IV Formula or the Asus Rampage IV Extreme?? The formula only has 4 ram slots to the Extreme´s 8 - but in real life for now I gues 16 gb is all that you would need...

I am no expert at pc and Over Clocking but I would like to give it a try when I have the time - would like to start and OC to 4400 and then work myself from there. my question is: Is the Rampage IV Extreme too much for a noob like me? Should I go for the less Formula or go for the Extreme and learn how to OC?? Can I still OC as well with the Formula?

As of the Video card then I am looking at the Asus GTX670 DirectCU II - not the TOP version (cant find it here) but the Asus GTX 680 DriectCU II also looks very sexy.... I would ONLY be gaming on a Single monitor - maybe I would SLI down the road. What would be best?

As of the monitor (currently have 19*) I am looking at the Benq XL2411T 24" LED 3D 120Hz OR the more budget 27* BenQ GW2750HM 27" LED VA DVI/HDMI (Linus Review www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA9B613Tvyg ) I have seen that now days 120 mhz seems to be the way to go - but the 27* looks very inviting for that price even though its only 60hz Will the 60-120hz be much diference when gaming? What would be the best buy for gaming on 1920 x 1080?

And for ram...... 1600 would be more than enough, is the G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 32GB 4x8GB CL10 Memoria DDR3 good? It is cheap for 179 euros - or different bran better?

Thanks for you time and effort helping me.

Best solution

February 13, 2013 5:26:51 PM

I am going to try to answer your questions in order and not miss any.

Firstly, you said you wanted the 3930k, but to be honest...it's a waste of money. The 3770k is actually better in a lot of applications. Look at these benchmarks and see what applies for you.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=552

Secondly, the Formula is an extremely good motherboard. The Extreme is overkill.

Overclocking is basically more of a hobby because its increase in productivity can be trivial because it reduces life of your processor. However, I myself am an overclocker, and it is fun. So to answer your question, the Formula allows you to OC.

The GTX 670 is a great card. It is more than enough to game on. I would normally recommend the 7970, but since you are video editing, alot of programs tend to favor Nvidia.

As far as the monitor goes.. quality over quantity. I would definitely go for the 24 inch with the 120 Hz refresh rate. I personally don't have 120 Hz refresh, but I have heard from friends and people on this forum that the 120 Hz looks smoother.

1600 RAM is enough. I would go for a 2x8 GB setup so it leaves room for expansion, even though you shouldn't need it.

As far as power supply goes, I would get something like this.
http://www.coolmod.com/product/14209/0/0/1/Fuente-Corsa...

It is large enough to SLI another 670 down the road. If you don't think that you would ever want that, just drop down to a 550 or a 650.

I hope I answered everything, and if I didn't, don't hesitate to ask.
February 13, 2013 5:43:52 PM

I agree the 3930K and other high € components seem tempting when you've got money to spend, but they're a really bad buy unless you're a professional doing professional work where every minute costs. Basically I think I agree with everything zared said.
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2013 6:07:52 PM

I would say with that budget to not skimp out on the 27" monitor. A high quality 24" is nice... that is where I am at right now. But I have put together a few systems for my friends and outfitted each 27" low to mid-tier panels. Your budget tells me that you are not messing around. You won't regret 27" low-mid or upper tier panels for gaming/v-editing. Stay in the 16:9 aspect ratio also.
m
l
February 13, 2013 6:10:35 PM

Thanks for you answers! I totaly forgot the power supply!

I was looking at the Corsair AX750 750W Modular 80 Plus Gold - is 750 enough? even for SLI?

I am so exited about this pc... I feel like a kid.... its like I am going from a Lawn Mower to a bran new Porche....!
m
l
February 13, 2013 6:12:41 PM

@skit75 I disagree. I have a high quality 1920 x 1200 (16:10) 24" and I wouldn't trade it to a 1080p (16:9) 27". If you must go 27-30" then get at least a 1440p screen preferable 1600p.
m
l
February 13, 2013 6:53:20 PM

A 750 watt power supply would be cutting it close, especially if you overclock the CPU and GPU's in an SLI configuration.

I would go with a 850 watt
m
l
February 13, 2013 6:54:11 PM

Best answer selected by LvL666.
m
l
February 13, 2013 6:59:33 PM

zared619 said:
A 750 watt power supply would be cutting it close, especially if you overclock the CPU and GPU's in an SLI configuration.

I would go with a 850 watt

Just a quick question, wouldnt a fully modular power suply be better for the estetics of the cable managment?
m
l
!