I have just put this computer together (my first one!), but I am having a problem for which I would like to ask for some help resolving.
Motherboard - MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
CPU - Intel Core i7-3820
CPU cooler- Noctua NH-D14
Graphics card - Point of View GeForce GTX 570, 1.25GB
Ram - Corsair Vengeance Low Profile black DIMM Kit 32GB PC3-12800U CL10 (DDR3-1600) (CML32GX3M4A1600C10)
Ssds - 2x Samsung SSD 830 Series 256GB
Psu - be quiet! Straight Power E9-CM 480W ATX 2.3
Case - Lian Li PC-A05FNB
I have installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with SP1, and let Windows update install all available updates with the exception of the Nvidia driver for the graphics card. The BIOS version is 10.7.
Windows does not recognise the graphics card and instead tells me there is a standard VGA card installed. Every time I install the driver for the graphics card, windows will not start and I just get a black screen after the "starting windows". I have to force the computer to shut down, after which windows runs a system repair at the next boot and restores the system to status before the driver was installed. Sometimes I get a BSOD after installing the driver, but the computer restarts itself before I have chance to read it fully, and then it goes back into the system repair routine.
Things I have tried already:
- installing the driver on the DVD that came with the graphics card - version 296.39
- installing the driver provided by windows update (it's labelled "nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570")
- installing the driver directly downloaded from nvidia.com - version 310.90 (this one usually results in the BSOD).
- I have also tried moving the graphics card to another slot, and removing all but one of the RAM modules followed by swapping that module with the others one at a time, but it still does not work.
- I reset the CMOS directly on the motherboard.
Interestingly, I have also installed the MSI motherboard software utilities in Windows, but they do not seem to start past their splash screens. I cannot find anything relating to the graphics card in the BIOS.
I'm not planning on overclocking anything, and I plan to use the computer for Adobe Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, and Premiere Pro CS6 (it's not a gaming PC).
What have I done wrong in this build? Does anybody have an idea what I could try next? Should I have chosen different components?