haha. HP 2x2x6x6x, is there really any point?

G

Hey all. I just had a friend give me his OLD 2x2x6x6x Hewlett Packard cdrw. It was external and not working.
I pulled it out of its case and set it up as a master, It worked, but its still crap..

Im not seriously considering using it, but what I am wondering is if I should scrap it or take it apart.

I thought there might be a use for the class 1 laser diode in it or maybe something else. Given I might have some trouble finding an appropriate circuit for using it in, but still

Any one have any suggestions of what I could do with this beast.

Note. Its 3"'s longer then my 24x10x40x. I couldnt put it in because it was right up against the power supply. Thats an example of what a beast it is

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
use the laser for a case mod... replace the HDD or power led with it ;)

lagger

<b><font color=blue>** Speed 2108(down)/365(up) kbps **
(At least 42 times faster than a 56k modem) </font color=blue>

G

You know, thats a good idea. It would be far from being as simpy as pulling the led out(or unsoldering it) and putting a new one in, but if a burners laser is colored then it, would be possible. I think I might try that,
thanks.

eden

Champion
I don't get it, is the 2x or 6x from the first or the end of the speeds a typo or am I seeing 4 speeds instead of 3? In that case what's the fourth??

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've pulled a couple of those out of the cases and installed them internally. They <i>do</i> run better that way. And you could use the case for an external hard drive, say, for a backup. It wouldn't be fast, but it would work.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

G

Ya I had thought of that. I guess I could get something similar to a 5 3/4" bay hard drive cooler, I think I have a 100meg drive around here somewhere that I could play with that I idea. Its a nice solid case.

As for the 2x2x6x6x. At the time I was positive that, thats what I has seen in the book or on the website somewhere. I can now find no evidence of this idea(that never made sense to me, nor did I investigate it). So clearly that was one of the many instances of halucination due to sleep dep. Kids..... go to bed. or you'll end up senial thinking that your writer has an extra 'backwards' read speed or something......

Ya, the laughing may comense. I started to a little while ago....

I wont edit the post though. Just because of how senseless it is.