myersprostatus

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hey guys, Im looking at upgrading my graphics card because my old one took a dump.

My computers specs are AMD 4600+ dualcore socket 939

4 gigs of ram

my mobo is an Asus A8N5X

What graphics card do you guys recommend. I can run a PCI-e 2.0 in a PCI-e slot, correct? Ive also been reading on this forum and from what I can understand, too powerfull of a GPU can bottleneck your CPU. Anymore technical info on that topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
-Mitch

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes, you can use a PCI-E 2.0 graphics card in a PCI-E 1.0/1.1 slot. That older system shouldn't take anything more than what is on par with an 8800GTS-320 (used to use an 8800GTS-640 with my S939 X2-4800+). At the most, I'd look to an HD4670.

-Wolf sends

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I don't usually recommend this, but perhaps you should look into building a new system altogether. You can get a new CPU for $120 or less, a motherboard for under $100, plus that graphics card for around $130, or less... you're looking at $450 for a modern system for a few years. But yeah, if you're not interested in a new system, you can get a gtx 550 pretty cheap.

ismail1993

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
i guess if you can get a 5870 amd its gonna be great but its like an old graphic card but its better than the 550 gtx for sure and i guess its cheap now if you can find one

Nobody is gonna deny the 5870 is faster, but that's old hardware. You're gonna have a hard time finding one unless it's used. And if you did find one that wasn't used, it would probably be overpriced. You could equally argue the GTX285 is better but it doesn't really count for much when they're not sold any more. Plus they have massively higher power consumption for the performance they deliver.

ismail1993

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

i agree with you.. but if he can browse for it on ebay i guess he can get one but its going to be like you said overpriced :) but if it was like 200-250 $ what should he get ?

myersprostatus

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I saw that the gtx 550ti is available band new, but as wolf said he thinks its too much card for my system. I would hate to buy a card new and it end up doing more harm than good. Is there any card available thats new in box that is adequate for my system?

I sure like the price of the gtx 550ti

Wolfshadw

Titan
The GTX 550Ti isn't going to do any harm to your system. It (and all of the other suggestions) are just wasted money (the GTX 550Ti being the least wasteful). You won't get anywhere near the performance those cards *can* provide as the rest of your system is holding it back.

-Wolf sends

With this kind of advice, people tend to overlook the fact that even something like a GTX670 can be a good purchase even when bottlenecked. When the time comes for a CPU upgrade, you unlock the rest of that performance and don't need to buy yet another card because the bottleneck was removed.

TRENDING THREADS