Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing a GTX 680

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 28, 2012 3:51:26 PM

Hello,

I was just about to make a purchase on Newegg to get an EVGA GTX 680 for $399, but after tax, it comes to $427

I then went on TigerDirect and found that they had a Signature Edition GTX 680 superclocked with a backplate for $460 with free shipping and a $20 rebate card which brings it all to $440.

Also, both cards are said to come with Borderlands 2 and Assassins Creed 3.

So my question is, which deal would be better and how do these cards run noise, temperature, and pure performance wise? Is the $13 extra really worth it?

Thank you for any advice you can give me as I plan on ordering today.

More about : choosing gtx 680

a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 5:22:47 AM

I don't think either of those are very good deals. But the Newegg one is better. If you are gonna spend $440 on a 680, minght as well spend $10 more to get a 7970 ghz which is a tier higher on the tomshardware hierarchy. Also 7970 ghz come with three games. So I would check out that card as well to see which on you want more.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 5:25:05 AM

You could also look at getting a 7970 non ghz because those are about as strong as a 680. Also the 670 is a better value than a 680.
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 4:17:15 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
You could also look at getting a 7970 non ghz because those are about as strong as a 680. Also the 670 is a better value than a 680.

I already placed the order for the gtx 680, and the deal for the games for AMD has ended already, so I figure I could trade Assassins Creed 3 for Far Cry 3, I already own Sleeping Dogs, and I would rather wait on Absolution.

Thank you for the advice but, I believe I have 30 days before my ability to refund returns, and if the gtx 680 isn't doing right for me, I can return it. I also figured that EVGA has great support, and although AMD just released the Never Settle drivers, most of the games I play seem to be backed by Nvidia right out of the gate.

This being my first build, and already having owned an AMD card, I'm still learning some things, so if Nvidia turns out to be a joke, I plan on doing other builds in the future.

Once again, thanks for the response.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2012 2:10:29 AM

You won't be disappointed with that card. You will still get very high end performance. You just could have gotten a better deal.
m
l
Anonymous
December 30, 2012 3:01:09 AM

I love Hitman:Absolution , very well made game.
m
l
!