1 8gb stick vs 2 4GB RAM

I was always under the impression that 2x 4gb would be better, but currently they're having a deal on this asrock z77 motherboard where you get a free DDR3 8gb Corsair stick of ram. I was originally going to buy a cheaper $100 h77 motherboard and a $50 8gb pair of ram, but this is an amazing deal and still within my budget.
5 answers Last reply
More about stick
  1. 2x4gb is always better. You could gran another 8gb stick and run 16gb. Dual channel RAM will always be faster.
  2. tiny voices said:
    2x4gb is always better. You could gran another 8gb stick and run 16gb. Dual channel RAM will always be faster.

How much faster are we talking about? 50% faster, 30%, 20%? I know most games don't need more than 4gb, and the only thing I will be using this computer for is school work, browsing the internet, and playing games. No photoshop, video editing, etc.
  3. Not crazy faster, maybe 8%. Its usually just a normal thing to buy 2x4 over 2x8 but since you are getting it free just don't worry about it.
  4. It's actually not noticeable.

It's only faster in synthetic benchmarks while in real world use. You really won't notice it.
  5. 2x4GB actually makes a large difference because of the bandwidth of Single channel compared to Dual channel. In general you will see a large performance difference and with little to no cost difference. It can only help not harm.

EDIT: Didnt see you get the free stick, get that one you really don't need more. If you're worried about that you can get another stick xD.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build RAM Motherboards Systems Product