Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pci-e x16 Help Purchasing Ati Radeon Hd 6450 Tomorrow

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 28, 2012 4:27:33 PM

Hi there

Basically i am having problems with people saying that a newer pci-e 2.1 wont work in a pci-e 1.0 .

I intend to buy the ati radeon hd 6450 tomorrow for a acer aspire t180 . Will this work on my Mobo ?

Specs

Motherboard - EM61SM/EM61PM
Chipset - Nvidia MCP61
Southbridge - Nvidia MCP61
PCI-E 1.0 x16 As far as i know , cant find definate source .

Thanks in Advance

a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2012 5:11:21 PM

Seems to be a mixed bag - most seem to have no problem but some do. Can you take the product back if it doesn't work?
December 28, 2012 5:21:56 PM

Its on ebay so i hope so , its just perfect for my budget to go along with a new 400 watt psu . Until i can afford a newer computer and better computer :( 
Related resources
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 28, 2012 5:33:59 PM

there had been some problems with 1.0 and 2.1 compatibility. most motherboard manufacturers updated the BIOS to solve the problem and some didn't; check for yours.
December 28, 2012 5:39:07 PM

how would i check if the manufacture updated the bios? can i do it manually to make more of a chance of it working?
December 28, 2012 5:47:38 PM

EM61SM/EM61PM which one? SM or PM?
a c 236 U Graphics card
December 28, 2012 5:50:40 PM

DwanePipeZ said:
how would i check if the manufacture updated the bios? can i do it manually to make more of a chance of it working?


Download and run cpu-Z
On the motherboard tab, you will see the current bios level and motherboard.

Then go to the motherboard web site and look for bios downloads. See if the description of what is fixed might include pcie 1.0/2.0 issues
Do not update the bios unless it fixes a problem that is hurting you.

Most of the time you will have no problem.
December 28, 2012 5:53:58 PM

mc_creeper said:
EM61SM/EM61PM which one? SM or PM?


It says on CPU-Z both of them exactly like that .
December 28, 2012 5:59:58 PM

geofelt said:
Download and run cpu-Z
On the motherboard tab, you will see the current bios level and motherboard.

Then go to the motherboard web site and look for bios downloads. See if the description of what is fixed might include pcie 1.0/2.0 issues
Do not update the bios unless it fixes a problem that is hurting you.

Most of the time you will have no problem.


Unsure on how to do this , been to the Acer website but there is no description on what has been changed.
I am currently running Phoenix Technologies, R01-A4 but there is a update to R01-C0 but no description of what has been changed. The link for the website is http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=38....

Thanks for your help
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 28, 2012 6:04:11 PM

DwanePipeZ said:
It says on CPU-Z both of them exactly like that .

just a thought. the S/P difference could simply mean a difference in a feature(s). seeing that you have an older motherboard i wonder if that is Sata or Pata for the hard drives . . .

regardless i digress; my point is that it is the same chipset . .

this might help you find it:
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

edit: nevermind you found it! yes i would suggest trying that; check the date and see if your's is older . . editII: you know C comes after A right . . :) 
December 28, 2012 6:11:52 PM

Anonymous said:
just a thought. the S/P difference could simply mean a difference in a feature(s). seeing that you have an older motherboard i wonder if that is Sata or Pata for the hard drives . . .

regardless i digress; my point is that it is the same chipset . .

this might help you find it:
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

edit: nevermind you found it! yes i would suggest trying that; check the date and see if your's is older . . editII: you know C comes after A right . . :) 


Haha , yes it does . Still in the early learning stages of computer modification .

My BIOS date is 12/19/2006 , the new updated BIOS is 12/09/2008 ,

Is it worth updating it even though i dont have any problems with the current BIOS ?
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 28, 2012 10:28:50 PM

DwanePipeZ said:
Haha , yes it does . Still in the early learning stages of computer modification .

My BIOS date is 12/19/2006 , the new updated BIOS is 12/09/2008 ,

Is it worth updating it even though i dont have any problems with the current BIOS ?

if it HAD a problem with PCI 2.1 graphics cards, there is a good likelihood the updated BIOS will resolve it.
!