Pci-e x16 Help Purchasing Ati Radeon Hd 6450 Tomorrow

DwanePipeZ

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hi there

Basically i am having problems with people saying that a newer pci-e 2.1 wont work in a pci-e 1.0 .

I intend to buy the ati radeon hd 6450 tomorrow for a acer aspire t180 . Will this work on my Mobo ?

Specs

Motherboard - EM61SM/EM61PM
Chipset - Nvidia MCP61
Southbridge - Nvidia MCP61
PCI-E 1.0 x16 As far as i know , cant find definate source .

Thanks in Advance

DwanePipeZ

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Its on ebay so i hope so , its just perfect for my budget to go along with a new 400 watt psu . Until i can afford a newer computer and better computer :(

G

there had been some problems with 1.0 and 2.1 compatibility. most motherboard manufacturers updated the BIOS to solve the problem and some didn't; check for yours.

Download and run cpu-Z
On the motherboard tab, you will see the current bios level and motherboard.

Then go to the motherboard web site and look for bios downloads. See if the description of what is fixed might include pcie 1.0/2.0 issues
Do not update the bios unless it fixes a problem that is hurting you.

Most of the time you will have no problem.

DwanePipeZ

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Unsure on how to do this , been to the Acer website but there is no description on what has been changed.
I am currently running Phoenix Technologies, R01-A4 but there is a update to R01-C0 but no description of what has been changed. The link for the website is http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=386.

Thanks for your help

G

just a thought. the S/P difference could simply mean a difference in a feature(s). seeing that you have an older motherboard i wonder if that is Sata or Pata for the hard drives . . .

regardless i digress; my point is that it is the same chipset . .

this might help you find it:
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

edit: nevermind you found it! yes i would suggest trying that; check the date and see if your's is older . . editII: you know C comes after A right . . :)

DwanePipeZ

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Haha , yes it does . Still in the early learning stages of computer modification .

My BIOS date is 12/19/2006 , the new updated BIOS is 12/09/2008 ,

Is it worth updating it even though i dont have any problems with the current BIOS ?

G

if it HAD a problem with PCI 2.1 graphics cards, there is a good likelihood the updated BIOS will resolve it.