Cache Information???

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Anyone know of a util that will interrogate and report on the cache of an ATA (WD) HDD? I want to know if I got a 2MB or an 8MB cache on this and I'm suspicious of the salesman....

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Why don't you just get the model #? There are only two drives that have the 8MB cache. The WD1200JB & WD1000JB are the only drives that have it in the Caviar SE series if I'm not mistaken.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well, the drive label says it is a WD1000BB-75CHE0, which is why I think it is a 2MB cache drive. The guy in the shop is insisting that it is the 8MB cache version, since looking at another 1000BB, the final part 75CHE0 is another string (cannot remember what is was though).

Basically the guy is insisting that it is an 8MB drive (all OEM). There is the added complication of course that I don't speak the local lingo too well, which makes arguing the toss that much harder.

Hence I'd like to find a util that will tell me for definite. At the same time I have e-mailed WD support with the serial number and the model number shown to ask if they can confirm.

G

if it end with EB or AB, it is a 5400rpm drive, BB for 2MB 7200 drive

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Mystery Solved - and 10/10 to WD for turning the answer around in <6hrs.

Dear Peter

Thank you for giving us a chance to answer your question.

A Western Digital 100GB drive that has an 8MB cache can be identified by the model number. There are basically two models that will have the 8MB cache. The first is WD1000JB and is the retail and/or
generic version of the 8MB Special Edition drive. The other model will be WD1000BB -xxCHE0, where xx is any pair of numbers. The CHE0 identifies the drive as an 8MB cache special edition drive that was sent to OEM and other distributors.

If I can be of further assistance, please notify me.

So the drive is 8MB cache, even though the part number suggests otherwise initially.

Thanks all.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Thanks for posting their reply. That's good info to have!

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>