PS4 and 720's affect on PC's

fsujoseph

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hey all I built my first computer last year with a 6970 2gb and i5 2500k. Since it's pretty much a given we can expect the new consoles in 2013 I was curious of the affect it would have on PC gaming. I know we will get better ports, but will it better utilize my computer to make it run games easier, or will it be harder to run games. I just want to be able to max out my games and if next generation consoles hurt my computer I would want to upgrade.

Basically how will new consoles affect a gaming PC's performance.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
The latest is that both Sony and MS will be using AMD APU’s as the core processors in the PS4 and XBox 720 Both will be using RISC instruction codes and both will be accelerated so they will produce far more in both boxes than they would in a PC.

If anything, both companies have thrown up the white flag and admitted that they cannot compete with PC architecture, so they are utilizing it.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
As in the past they won't affect PC's performance. Aside from the PS3 most recent consoles use heavily customized components based on PC hardware anyway. Without having specifics on their design, your rig is still a lot more powerful than the upcoming PS4 and 720 anyway. The big difference in consoles is the OS not the hardware (XBox was designed to be easy to port from windows).

Just remember samething happens ever 7 or 8 years, consoles get updated to low/midrange PC specs and end up at below bottom range specs by the end of their life.

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I read somewhere that the 720 using a modified 7770? Not sure if that's true or not but yeah =p

Consoles will never beat PCs because the main goal is to be cost effective. Ports are bound to still be crappy because on consoles developers can program for a set OS and Never changing Hardware. PCs come in so many software and hardware configurations.

By the time either comes out, they are both bound to already be a generation behind.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
One of the companies that has talked the most on the next gen consoles is Epic Games who makes the Gears of War franchise.

What it seems they are trying to do is still sit at the 30 FPS, which is what current consoles do, but push the graphics side of it to its upper limits. This could mean that PC gaming could also be pushed by the console ports that come across. Hopefully.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

I really hope that this is true. I know farcry 3 was a big disappointment for me...

Actually, I would say it could have the opposite effect if the port is not done correctly.

For example, everyone basically knows that GTA IV was a horrible port. Imagine if that game was designed for a more powerful console, and then ported over to the PC. The likely outcome is higher system requirements and lower performance.

maybe for the first year or two we might be able to justify the needs of high end end parts because the with the new console might be able to raise the bar on what next gen games can come out with (hd texture, high level of aa and af, more drawing distance and such).

but as the time goes by when pc hardware performance keep raising where might facing similar problem we are having right now; even entry level gpu (like 7750) able to beat the console in graphic department easily.

that's how i see it