GPU problem- can boot fine from integrated gpu but nothing shows if I

Heya, I'm having a little trouble with my GPU.
I can boot up fine with the integrated graphics and I can boot up fine with an old GTX 460, but when I plug the Gigabyte 7970 in there is no signal on the screen.

I have tried the 7970 in my old PC and it works fine so there appears to be nothing wrong with the GPU and seeing as my GTX 460 works in my new PC there appears to be nothing wrong with the mobo etc.
When the PC is turned on the fans on the 7970 spin indicating it has been powered correctly.

I have also tried swapping the 7970 to a different slot and still get the same problem. Any idea what's up?

Here are my specs:
i5 3570k
Gigabyte Ultra Durable Motherboard LGA 155 Z77-D3H
Gigabyte 7970
Seasonic M12II-520 Semi-Module 520W ATX12V Power Supply Unit - Silver
9 answers Last reply
More about problem boot fine integrated shows
  1. Do you have the CPU power connectors plugged in to the GPU?
  2. avenseth12 said:
    Do you have the CPU power connectors plugged in to the GPU?


    What? I don't even...
  3. avenseth12 said:
    Do you have the CPU power connectors plugged in to the GPU?


    If you mean the connectors from the PSU to GPU then, yes. They are wired identically to my old case in which the 7970 works.
  4. can you try another Power supply cuz i guess its because of the Power supply if it doesnt !
    check out the GPU if it plugged in correctly and the pins are all plugged in
    oh btw
    which model of the 7970 you have is it 7970 sapphire 3gb dual x !?
  5. make sure you have the newest bios for your mb. a lot of the x68 and z77 mb need bios update to fix bugs issues.
  6. ismail1993 said:
    can you try another Power supply cuz i guess its because of the Power supply if it doesnt !
    check out the GPU if it plugged in correctly and the pins are all plugged in
    oh btw
    which model of the 7970 you have is it 7970 sapphire 3gb dual x !?


    It's the gigabyte version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0074VVTPI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

    It works perfectly in another PC that is about 3 years old. The PSU in that case is a 600watt.
  7. smorizio said:
    make sure you have the newest bios for your mb. a lot of the x68 and z77 mb need bios update to fix bugs issues.


    I will update the bios and report back!
  8. tomd741 said:
    It's the gigabyte version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0074VVTPI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

    It works perfectly in another PC that is about 3 years old. The PSU in that case is a 600watt.



    ohh but it written down there the ps is : Seasonic M12II-520 Semi-Module 520W ATX12V Power Supply Unit
    i guess its because of the power supply either way the 460 gtx is taking more power than the 7970 for sure :D
  9. Solved with a bios update!
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon GPUs Boot Gigabyte Graphics