Sapphire Radeon 2GB 7850 - lacking performance??

MLTadis

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi, my current rig consists of
- 6.00 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM
- AMD Phenom II x4 945 Quad CPU 3.0 GHz
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS
- Coolmax 600 watt PSU
- Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB

At the moment i'm playing games at a 1440 x 900 resolution until I can get a bigger screen. I have a few problems with specific game titles atm. First of all I have just purchased battlefield 3 thinking I could easily run it on ultra at such a low resolution when it will often drop below 30 (about 25 or so) depending if im looking at a distance. It goes to about 45-50 in closed quarters. Is that the performance I should be getting if this GPU can supposedly run battlefield on ultra at a 1080p resolution? I can only see it getting worse with a bigger res so my question is why am I lacking performance? Also on Assassins creed 3 my fps drops easily below 30 in boston at the lowest settings (normal). Before I got to boston my fps never dropped.

I play with AA and vsync off so what could the problem be? My GPU and memory clock are as follows 860 MHz/1050 MHz.

burntpizza

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

You could try to overclock it if it is too slow. People have gotten their 7850's to 1200 mhz core, which is around R7950 stock speed.

But, nothing is wrong with your card. Its performing as it should. R7850 is not a high end card, it is a low mid-end and is priced as such.

Is the game smooth, smooth 30 fps is more than playable. Heck, I used to get by with 20 fps.

MLTadis

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I've downloaded the 12.11 beta drivers and that seems to have given me a performance boost. It's a lot smoother now that i've done that.

Now if I was to overclock it in the near future, how would I go about doing that? Just simply adjust the core/memory clocks on amd overdrive? Because when I do that my computer will eventually boot itself if i go too high. How would I know if its too much for my computer to handle?

Th3Exiled

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
You may be having performance issues because of an inadequate PSU. Remember that the wattage of the power supply is not the only important factor. I wouldn't trust that coolmax PSU too much (as I'm not too familiar with their products). If you could tell us the exact model of your PSU that would help.

Since we don't know your exact model it's difficult to suggest getting a new PSU, however, I haven't heard anything good about coolmax PSUs before so personally I'd go for a new quality PSU. But eitherway, first thing's first, try and find out what model PSU you have so you can make a more informed decision on whether to replace it.

Exiled.

MLTadis

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Pretty sure this is the model PSU I have in black:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3YjTstMm7I
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/coolmax-v-600-pwrs-600w-14cm-smart-fan-power-supply-single-pci-e-v600-reviews

I bought this one just recently (less than a month ago) as a replacement for an old 400 watt PSU, and it seems to be working fine. As for the CPU? I see many people having it in their rig along with the same video card who have greater results. I wasn't trying to go for something too top of the line thinking it would do just fine. Seeing as most games only use dual cores and are beginning to use quads, would upgrading to say an i5, or an i7 really be necessary?

SilentBanshee

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I think you power supply is fine and more then enough. I have personally run my rigs pull and it is low 400's and i have my rig oc a fair amount.

As far as overclocking goes msi afterburner or asus gpu tweak are both great and you should be able to hit 1000/1250 without a problem. there are very good oc guides and tutorials online.