Sign in with
Your question

Need help w/ gaming build [$1,300]

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2013 11:46:39 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but I've heard that it is trusted and credible. First of, I'd like to tell you guys that I'm new to PC building. I don't know much about overclocking, SLI, BIOS, etc. However, I'm willing to learn and progress to make this sweet build.

I would like help on this gaming build I'm trying to get. I play Planetside 2, and waiting for Battlefield 4, and the new Batman Arkham game. It will primarily be for gaming, school work, and image creating (GIMP).

This is what I plan on getting on around late March: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zM6i

CPU: I was told that this particular i5 can compete w/ some i7's. I was also told that it was a great overclocker.
CPU Cooler: I've read good stuff about this, and it looks awesome.
Mobo: I heard that GIGABYTE makes quality boards, but a friend told me that it isn't good as far as overclocking.
Memory: I was told that this is good quality RAM.
Storage: Seems like it's a staple and quality assured.
GPU: This thing is powerful, it should slap any game I throw at it.
Case: The design looks sleek, great airflow, and convenient.
PSU: It's a quality power supply, so it shouldn't crap out on me.
Optical Drive: I won't be watching Blu-Ray movies, so I'm fine w/ this.
OS: This is what I'm used to, and I've heard mixed feelings about Windows 8.

This is what I'll upgrade to later: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B25i

I have basic periphreals already. (Keyboard, mouse, decent monitor).

My main concern is the motherboard, as everything depends on it. Is it a good overclocker? Is it good compared to ASUS boards?

Also, is that too much for an SSD? I don't know how much I need to hold my OS, games, and programs. Should I go w/ 120GB rather than 256GB?

Is there a better 24" monitor, that one is expensive because it has speakers. I'll get separate speakers of course, but I want to see crystal clear w/ a good monitor and that GPU.

Thanks for your opinions, looking forward to replies.

More about : gaming build 300

February 13, 2013 11:57:27 PM

So is that your build? BTW, $1,300 is kinda pushing it, I'm in highschool. But, I'm willing to pay that much if I can get something that will last me through college. Why did you choose those parts, pros/cons?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2013 12:02:29 AM

Have to agree. High school students should have mediocre builds

i3-3220 with a 7770. WAHAHAHA
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2013 12:13:42 AM

-.- I'll be able to pay for this, but I'd have to front the money now, and work it off later. I want this to last, so I won't have to replace parts, and all of that mess. :/ 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2013 12:29:09 AM

If I were you, I'd just get a $700~$800 build.

PCs don't really last more than 3-5 years before you have to replace some of the parts.

By the time, you get another $1300 in what? 2 years or so? The GPU you use right now would have gotten phased out and technology would be better by that time.

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2013 12:40:49 AM

Hi just buy this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($133.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $603.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-13 21:40 EST-0500)

Play most games at high-max.

Save the $700 for the next 3 years then buy one again. You'll thank me.
m
l
!