Radeonpro software

i just started using this to enable nvidia like adaptive vsync works well, and can tell me my fps and other information about my gpu,

anybody else got input on how stable this program is thanks

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

:)

:sol:

Solution
Mautari did some really impressive work with RadeonPro! Makes you wonder why AMD have been unable to do this for their own cards (they seriously need to hire this guy!).

There are some drawbacks though compared to the nVidia solution. Most notably the fact that you need to benchmark each game individually and then calibrate RadeonPro for that game according to your benchmark results. Tom's Hardware said in the review that it's a complicated and time-consuming procedure. Do it wrong (even if you're off by just 10fps) and you get some massive lag spikes (right up to 100 millisecond frames, which equates to a drop to 10fps).

With nVidia on the other hand, you don't need to do a thing - the hardware is already designed to deliver...
Mautari did some really impressive work with RadeonPro! Makes you wonder why AMD have been unable to do this for their own cards (they seriously need to hire this guy!).

There are some drawbacks though compared to the nVidia solution. Most notably the fact that you need to benchmark each game individually and then calibrate RadeonPro for that game according to your benchmark results. Tom's Hardware said in the review that it's a complicated and time-consuming procedure. Do it wrong (even if you're off by just 10fps) and you get some massive lag spikes (right up to 100 millisecond frames, which equates to a drop to 10fps).

With nVidia on the other hand, you don't need to do a thing - the hardware is already designed to deliver consistently smooth performance out of the box. So a Radeon with RadeonPro is definitely an improvement over normal Radeon performance, but it's still not as good as normal nVidia performance, which doesn't require you to recalibrate it for each game.

Worth keeping an eye on this though - I'd be amazed if the guy isn't hired by nVidia or AMD (if he hasn't already been). And if AMD gets him, they'll be trying to get a solution that doesn't require re-calibrating for each game / settings change.

Solution
brokenlink, i dunno, i just ran a few games with the adaptive vsync its smooth.

no spikes on my side.

im shur its not perfect yet but its a good start for a sideproject to motivate ati to get there butts working with a competetive vsync feature just as good or better than nvidias adaptive vsync.

Crossfire will definitely be more demanding interms of regulating a stable output, but concept is the same - calibrate too high and you won't get the best results. Each time you adjust settings, framerate will be affected, so you'd need to re-benchmark and re-calibrate to get that silky smooth output Tom's achieved.

Take a look at the link - you benchmark first to determine the kind of framerates you'll typically get with your chosen settings in the game you're playing. You then calibrate RadeonPro for that framerate (or maybe a little less to prevent/reduce stuttering like Tom's got with 50fps). I'm off to bed now, but the article explains it all pretty well. Or maybe take a look at the RadeonPro site.

Latest posts