Sign in with
Your question

50% loss of speed thru router

Last response: in Networking
February 1, 2012 8:53:26 PM

My home network is driving me nuts. I am losing 50% of my speed through my Netgear Router WNR2000v3, wireless or wired I get 10.7Mbps but if i connect the computer directly to the cable modem I get 25mbps. I've spent a couple of hours tweaking settings and such and i'm pulling out my hair. For the speed tests i've used various test sites with similar results.

More about : loss speed router

February 1, 2012 9:51:22 PM

The first thing I would do is hard reset the router back to factory settings and try again.
m
l
February 1, 2012 10:19:14 PM

Performed a hard reset and restore settings on the router with no change. An additional detail I did not add, I removed the router and connected a 10/100 switch i have to the cable modem and received the same results, half speed. When i contacted the cable company they indicated they only guarantee the speed to one computer and often see a significant drop when connected to a router or switch.

m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2012 3:12:47 PM

A router can slow data down, but it is usually minimal. If your router has SPI (stateful packet inspection), try turning it off and see if your speeds come back up. Also, the make/model of router can make a difference as some use better chipsets than others.

Make sure you test it hard wired to the router. There are too many variables when testing wireless.
m
l
February 13, 2012 2:32:03 AM

Yes I tested it wired and wireless. Same results with both. No SPI. Same results using a switch as well.
m
l
February 13, 2012 10:54:07 AM

I'd try a different router. You might want to also use your ISP's speed test web page as it will give the most consistent results.
m
l
!