FZ20 Lens Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

Just been playing with my new FZ20 and noticed that there is a
noticeable radial lens movement - laterally and vertically (in fact in
all directions) when the lens is extended after switching on. This
movement is in the order of 2-3mm. It is not a lens movement in or out
of the camera. The entire lens, with all the lens elements, seems to
move at the same time can be moved with very little force - I noticed
it with the briefest of touches.

Pictures appear to be OK.

Is this a normal movement??? - or should I take the camera back to
whence it came from???

TVMIA

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <1111662387.858893.11700@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
colinstone@hotmail.com says...
> Hi,
>
> Just been playing with my new FZ20 and noticed that there is a
> noticeable radial lens movement - laterally and vertically (in fact in
> all directions) when the lens is extended after switching on. This
> movement is in the order of 2-3mm. It is not a lens movement in or out
> of the camera. The entire lens, with all the lens elements, seems to
> move at the same time can be moved with very little force - I noticed
> it with the briefest of touches.
>
> Pictures appear to be OK.
>
> Is this a normal movement??? - or should I take the camera back to
> whence it came from???
>
> TVMIA

Several of the ZLR cameras I've had around the house have been like this. It
was normal on all of them.

According to one manufacturer, it protects the lens from "shock" if it gents
gently bumped. I dont have the FZ20, so I cant speak from experience but an
older Fuji zoom camera, and a Kodak 6490 that I have exhibit this "feature".

I would consider it normal.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

colinstone@hotmail.com wrote:

> Just been playing with my new FZ20 and noticed that there is a
> noticeable radial lens movement - laterally and vertically (in fact in
> all directions) when the lens is extended after switching on. This
> movement is in the order of 2-3mm. It is not a lens movement in or out
> of the camera. The entire lens, with all the lens elements, seems to
> move at the same time can be moved with very little force - I noticed
> it with the briefest of touches.
>
> Pictures appear to be OK.
>
> Is this a normal movement??? - or should I take the camera back to
> whence it came from???

It's the same with my FZ20. I guess we can consider it normal.

--
YAnewsWatcher.

abc

You do not get this with film SLR lens. Much more precisely built.

Almost all lens of the new cameras ,which extend from the body, do
that. I think it is just free play needed to let it move. This is the
price for being light and small.

On 24 Mar 2005 03:06:27 -0800, colinstone@hotmail.com wrotd:

>Hi,
>
>Just been playing with my new FZ20 and noticed that there is a
>noticeable radial lens movement - laterally and vertically (in fact in
>all directions) when the lens is extended after switching on. This
>movement is in the order of 2-3mm. It is not a lens movement in or out
>of the camera. The entire lens, with all the lens elements, seems to
>move at the same time can be moved with very little force - I noticed
>it with the briefest of touches.
>
>Pictures appear to be OK.
>
>Is this a normal movement??? - or should I take the camera back to
>whence it came from???
>
>TVMIA

ABC
Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

ABC wrote:
> You do not get this with film SLR lens. Much more precisely built.

The design of the lens is simply different - are there any film SLRs with
lenses that extend from the body at switch on? I think not.

The sensor size in ZLR cameras is a lot smaller and the tolerances
consequently smaller, probably calling for greater absolute precision
during manufacture.

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
> ABC wrote:
>> You do not get this with film SLR lens. Much more precisely built.
>
> The design of the lens is simply different - are there any film SLRs with
> lenses that extend from the body at switch on? I think not.

There are film ZLRs such as the olympus IS-3 that have such a lens that
extends (although not all the way) at power on. However, the lens was
designed to support teleconverters (such as the tcon 1.7x) and is much
more stable.

"un" <un@gehennom.internets.net> wrote in message
> David J Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
> wrote:
>> ABC wrote:
>>> You do not get this with film SLR lens. Much more precisely built.
>>
>> The design of the lens is simply different - are there any film SLRs with
>> lenses that extend from the body at switch on? I think not.
>
> There are film ZLRs such as the olympus IS-3 that have such a lens that
> extends (although not all the way) at power on. However, the lens was
> designed to support teleconverters (such as the tcon 1.7x) and is much
> more stable.

I have old (15 - 20 years) film SLRs that are still totally in order. They
are somewhat battered and scratched but in good working order. It is clear
that none of my digital cameras will ever reach this condition. Why is this?
Building a camera to use digital capture does not mean that it has be to
fragile.

Robert R.