I'm going to throw my PC out of a window.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Short story: I play league of legends & tribes ascend. League of Legends fps lags like hell during team fights and Tribes, well...just lags, period. I have another concern: my gpu doesn't support Direct X 11 but I have it installed -- would that cause performance issues?

core 2 duo e6600
4gb ram
windows 7
geforce gtx 260
650w psu (corsair)

Solution

Just an outline of my post.
First Section is dedicated as to what I think the problem is
Second section is dedicated to my tests of Tribes
Third section will be my recommendations to help you out.

I have been playing the Beta For Tribes I haven't played the other game but as far as tribes go I'm going to say its your processor and video card.
Your processor is at the bare min to run the...

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I highly doubt FPS is effected by internet connection (in the context that I am mentioning it)

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
having dx11 installed wont hurt your fps, the game launches and directs itself to the correct files based on hardware. however, you could check the .cfg for the games and ensure the correct dx level is set. you may have to force dx9 due to poor dx10 coding. your 260 should perform well at or under 1080.

could you be a bit more specific on your issue?

since your system totally blows the recommended requirements through the roof on both those games my assumption would be your internet connection, maybe a router problem, maybe malware or virus. You may also have open programs running while trying to play. Instant messaging/e-mail alerts/music, etc.

how full is your hard drive ? is it defragged ?

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007

Just an outline of my post.
First Section is dedicated as to what I think the problem is
Second section is dedicated to my tests of Tribes
Third section will be my recommendations to help you out.

I have been playing the Beta For Tribes I haven't played the other game but as far as tribes go I'm going to say its your processor and video card.
Your processor is at the bare min to run the game, and your
graphics card in all honesty isn't that much better than an 8800gt
which is also the min to run the game.

Tomshardware back in 2010 in the game Battlefield Bad Company 2
only rates the GTX 260 10FPS better than the 8800 GT.

Information on Specs needed to run tribes

http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/~/what-are-the-minimum-and-recommended-system-requirements-for-tribes%3A-ascend%3F

Now for some brutal Truth.
============================================
With Tribes on high with the machine I have dedicated for testing I still get some occasional Stutter in the Beta. My Specs for my test machine are below.

Processor - I7-2700k
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 Cas 9
Graphics - GTX 560Ti
Hard Drives - 1 Samsung 830 SSD 64GB (Operating System Only)
Hard Drive - Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD 240GB (Just games)
I have other regular Hard drives for apps and storage.

=============================================
If I was you If you have the money I would honestly just either build a new machine or buy a Pretty Decent Graphics card. If you don't have alot of cash just got a high end i3 which will be fairly cheap and get a good graphics card.

Toms hardware has time after time shown that for today's games with today's processors the bottleneck isn't the processor but rather the graphics card. Its also why Tomshardware for essentially a year hasn't recommended anything over an i5-2500k for high-end gaming because after that processor your FPS is very marginal when using the same graphics card with faster processors.

If you want to be able to play these newer games its time to get a processor from this decade. The E6600 came out in July 2006 thats almost 6 years ago, and in computer years thats atleast 12 years :)

If your not really wanting to build from scratch but your comfortable switching out a few components then something like this dell thats on sell right now 250 off the regular price of 699 for a grand total of $449

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=sdcm102&cs=ussoho1&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN&dgc=SS&cid=52103&lid=1342491&acd=12309948312782312

It features an Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz, 16x PCI Express 2.0 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, DVD burner, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Then just add a gtx 560 Ti to that for another $230 and use your old power supply in the new system.

Solution