Closed

PCI-Express 3.0 and Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti?

Hey all,

I just built a budget gaming setup, but ran into some trouble. The motherboard is the ASRock H77 Pro4-MVP, CPU is Intel Core i5 3470, RAM Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 8GB, graphics card is GIGABYTE GTX 650 Ti 2 GB GV-N65TOC-2GI.

For some reason, my graphics card, despite being PCI-E 3.0 compatible, won't work in the PCI-E 3.0 slot on my motherboard. I plug it in the slot and power it on, but no display output. I tried switching between outputs, but nothing. The onboard video is disabled when you have the card in, so there's no video unless I don't power on the card. It works fine in the 2.0 slot underneath, but not the 3.0. I tried installing the drivers and then trying it, but that didn't work either.

I'm kind of at a loss. I got the card and mobo combo because it was 3.0, but now I only get 2.0.

Any suggestions? Is there something in the BIOS that can be switched?

Thanks in advance!
10 answers Last reply
More about express gigabyte
  1. Thanks for the fast reply. You are saying no difference between the 3.0 and 2.0? I wasn't aware of that, so if that's true then i won't worry about it. I thought that 3.0 was better. I'm new to the "new" gaming scene (last gaming I did was on AGP 8x and PCI GeForce FX5200, 3DFX, think Star Wars Tie Fighter and what not).

Thanks!
  2. With the 650 ti being a mid end card. I will fully second BigMack70 on this. It will not even loose anything.

You would need a beast of a card to feel the loss of 3.0.

I run a GTX 650 ti on 2.0 and it works fine. fairly power efficient little card.
  3. Awesome.

Thanks for the help guys. I am not sure why they even have 3.0 then if it doesn't make much of a difference. What's the difference anyways?

Thanks!
  4. It has a massive amount of bandwidth, but you need some real fast cards to take advantage of it.

It is like a low rpm hard drive with a SATA 6 interface. Sure you can do it, but it does not actually help(using the interface does not cost any more, so they use it.).
  5. I see what you mean. So basically the technology is in place and mainstream, but you still need to spend a lot of money in order to (fully) utilize it. I can assume that pretty soon there will be graphics cards that can use it to its full potential that don't cost $450.
  6. each new card gets faster.

For instance, the 5770 was a mid end card and has as fast(for the most part) as the last generations 4870(a rather high end card). It may take a few generations, but all the fast stuff makes its way into the mainstream at some point.
  7. I had a 5750 at one point. It was I think $200 when it was new in 2010 or 2009, I can't remember which. Nowadays a used one is $50-$60. Now a much better HD 7850 and NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti goes for that. What a difference 2 years makes! I like to joke with friends that if car technology advanced that fast a Rolls-Royce would cost $2,000, get 9000 miles to the gallon, but break down and explode after 2 years.
  8. Its all great until the exploding part :)
  9. :heink: Yep. I just reconditioned and sold a Pentium 3 700 MHz with the fastest bus at the time that was custom built and completely decked-out, USB 2.0 expansion card, v90 dual-port modem, 16 MB Galaxy PCI video card, high-end sound card, 10/100 NIC, 1.5 GB RAM, 40 GB hard drive. It cost the customer about $2,200 in 2001. I sold it for $25. A server with dual Xeons that was $6500 in 2004, sell for around $250. It's crazy. The degree that technology has advanced is staggering.
  10. Best answer selected by sirstinky.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics