Battlefield 1942 will not run - The memory could not be "W..

I recently upgraded my processor to a 2.53 Celeron "D" and everything works
fine (EQ, COD, Word Excel, Powerpoint, Jedi Knight ...) except for
Battlefield 1942. All drivers are up to date and I have run tests on the
memory and everything checks out OK. Dxdiag is error free and everything is
certified.

The exact error after the splash screen is:

The instruction at "0x02a4afa89" referenced memory at "0x00000000" . The
memory could not be "written"

EAgames has given up after I completely removed 1942 and reinstalled twice.
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

--
AHIL-Bob
12 answers Last reply

    Hi Bob,

    Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem still persists
    please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good luck! :-)

    1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com and then
    install MS AntiSpyware from: www.microsoft.com/spyware to
    remove any Spyware or Adware which could clog up your PC.

    3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
    / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
    the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

    4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
    Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
    require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
    For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
    Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:686B5CC0-3D9E-4345-A6DF-9CF34691D5C3@microsoft.com...
    |I recently upgraded my processor to a 2.53 Celeron "D" and everything works
    | fine (EQ, COD, Word Excel, Powerpoint, Jedi Knight ...) except for
    | Battlefield 1942. All drivers are up to date and I have run tests on the
    | memory and everything checks out OK. Dxdiag is error free and everything is
    | certified.
    |
    | The exact error after the splash screen is:
    |
    | The instruction at "0x02a4afa89" referenced memory at "0x00000000" . The
    | memory could not be "written"
    |
    | EAgames has given up after I completely removed 1942 and reinstalled twice.
    | Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
    |
    | --
    | AHIL-Bob

    Jimmy!

    Thanks for trying to help!!!!

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem still persists
    > please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good luck! :-)
    >
    > 1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    > programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    > blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    Disabled all possible startup apps and the problem still exists.

    Also

    The URL is broken but I got the gist of what to do.

    > You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    > http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    >
    > 2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com and then
    > install MS AntiSpyware from: www.microsoft.com/spyware to
    > remove any Spyware or Adware which could clog up your PC.

    Machine is clean, use AVG and make it a habit of doing the Tend scan
    occasionally. Antispyware, Adaware and Search and Destroy have been used and
    no significant adware or spyware is running.

    > 3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
    > / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
    > the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

    Done - No change

    > 4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
    > Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
    > require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    Done and Done! All updates were installed previously and no new ones were
    available

    I even went so far as to remove the MS updates from the 13th with no
    success. (Don't worry I reinstalled them.)

    > 5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:

    All cheecked and updated with no positive result.

    Is there a utility that shows what application is using a memory address and
    may be preventing it from being written to?

    Again, thanks for the help!!!

    > For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
    > Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >

    > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:686B5CC0-3D9E-4345-A6DF-9CF34691D5C3@microsoft.com...
    > |I recently upgraded my processor to a 2.53 Celeron "D" and everything works
    > | fine (EQ, COD, Word Excel, Powerpoint, Jedi Knight ...) except for
    > | Battlefield 1942. All drivers are up to date and I have run tests on the
    > | memory and everything checks out OK. Dxdiag is error free and everything is
    > | certified.
    > |
    > | The exact error after the splash screen is:
    > |
    > | The instruction at "0x02a4afa89" referenced memory at "0x00000000" . The
    > | memory could not be "written"
    > |
    > | EAgames has given up after I completely removed 1942 and reinstalled twice.
    > | Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
    > |
    > | --
    > | AHIL-Bob

    Hi Bob,

    Before trying to debug the crash dump, are you running
    SP 1 of Windows? Please upgrade to SP 2 if you are.

    --

    "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A81798D9-0997-4FB3-9299-6623CDDFE6B1@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >

    | > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:686B5CC0-3D9E-4345-A6DF-9CF34691D5C3@microsoft.com...
    | > |I recently upgraded my processor to a 2.53 Celeron "D" and everything works
    | > | fine (EQ, COD, Word Excel, Powerpoint, Jedi Knight ...) except for
    | > | Battlefield 1942. All drivers are up to date and I have run tests on the
    | > | memory and everything checks out OK. Dxdiag is error free and everything is
    | > |
    | > | The exact error after the splash screen is:
    | > |
    | > | The instruction at "0x02a4afa89" referenced memory at "0x00000000" . The
    | > | memory could not be "written"
    | > |
    | > | EAgames has given up after I completely removed 1942 and reinstalled twice.
    | > | Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | AHIL-Bob

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Yep - I used the upgrade version that had SP 2 with it.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

> [...]
    > | success. (Don't worry I reinstalled them.)
    > |

    > | > 5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
    > |
    > | All cheecked and updated with no positive result.
    > |
    > | Is there a utility that shows what application is using a memory address and
    > | may be preventing it from being written to?
    > |
    > | Again, thanks for the help!!!
    > |
    > | > For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
    > | > Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > | >
    > | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    > | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Bob,

    Here are 3 more suggestions ...

    1. Click Start / Control Panel /Administrative Tools / Event Viewer /
    Click the Applications listing on the left / in the right pane look for
    yellow or red symbols and doubleclick them to identify any problems,
    and they often have a link to a KB article you can read for the solution.

    2. Allow Windows to control your pagefile at a "system managed size",
    and allow enough room for the pagefile size to = 1.5 * your RAM as per:
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/mcfedries/03june16.asp
    Another good reference is: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    3. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    --

    "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B45DB14E-6BBF-4B45-9D8D-ECEF65B51E8F@microsoft.com...
    | Yep - I used the upgrade version that had SP 2 with it.
    |
    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Bob,
    | >
    | > Before trying to debug the crash dump, are you running
    | > SP 1 of Windows? Please upgrade to SP 2 if you are.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A81798D9-0997-4FB3-9299-6623CDDFE6B1@microsoft.com...
    | > | Jimmy!
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for trying to help!!!!
    | > |
    | > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    | > |

    | > | Disabled all possible startup apps and the problem still exists.
    | > |
    | > | Also
    | > |
    | > | The URL is broken but I got the gist of what to do.
    | > |
    | > |

    | > |
    | > | Machine is clean, use AVG and make it a habit of doing the Tend scan
    | > | occasionally. Antispyware, Adaware and Search and Destroy have been used and
    | > | no significant adware or spyware is running.
    | > |

    | > |
    | > | Done - No change
    | > |
    | > | Done and Done! All updates were installed previously and no new ones were
    | > | available
    | > |
    | > | I even went so far as to remove the MS updates from the 13th with no
    | > | success. (Don't worry I reinstalled them.)
    | > |

    | > |
    | > | All cheecked and updated with no positive result.
    | > |
    | > | Is there a utility that shows what application is using a memory address and
    | > | may be preventing it from being written to?
    | > |
    | > | Again, thanks for the help!!!
    | > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Jimmy,

    Did 2 and 3. No immediate results with 2. Memory check out OK with the test
    even in advanced.

    Did some goofing around and found something interesting. I tried starting
    1942 immediately (quickly) after the error occurred and it wouldn't start it.
    However if I did it say 5 or 6 times in a row the application would
    occasionally start. Unfortunately it ran extremely poorly. Graphics was slow
    and jumpy.

    Wierd. I don't know what it means.

    I'll check out the event viewer to see if I can see anything.

    Thanks! - Bob

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Here are 3 more suggestions ...
    >
    > 1. Click Start / Control Panel /Administrative Tools / Event Viewer /
    > Click the Applications listing on the left / in the right pane look for
    > yellow or red symbols and doubleclick them to identify any problems,
    > and they often have a link to a KB article you can read for the solution.
    >
    > 2. Allow Windows to control your pagefile at a "system managed size",
    > and allow enough room for the pagefile size to = 1.5 * your RAM as per:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/mcfedries/03june16.asp
    > Another good reference is: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
    >
    > 3. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B45DB14E-6BBF-4B45-9D8D-ECEF65B51E8F@microsoft.com...
    > | Yep - I used the upgrade version that had SP 2 with it.
    > |
    > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > |
    > | > Hi Bob,
    > | >
    > | > Before trying to debug the crash dump, are you running
    > | > SP 1 of Windows? Please upgrade to SP 2 if you are.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > | >
    > | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > | > _________________________________________________________

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Jimmy,

    I used the event viewer and there was a KB article for the error but it
    didn't provide any additional insight into the problem or provide a solution.

    Is there any way to tell what is occupying the 0x00000000 address when I
    start the application and get the error?

    - Bob
    --
    AHIL-Bob

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Here are 3 more suggestions ...
    >
    > 1. Click Start / Control Panel /Administrative Tools / Event Viewer /
    > Click the Applications listing on the left / in the right pane look for
    > yellow or red symbols and doubleclick them to identify any problems,
    > and they often have a link to a KB article you can read for the solution.
    >
    > 2. Allow Windows to control your pagefile at a "system managed size",
    > and allow enough room for the pagefile size to = 1.5 * your RAM as per:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/mcfedries/03june16.asp
    > Another good reference is: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
    >
    > 3. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B45DB14E-6BBF-4B45-9D8D-ECEF65B51E8F@microsoft.com...
    > | Yep - I used the upgrade version that had SP 2 with it.
    > |
    > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > |
    > | > Hi Bob,
    > | >
    > | > Before trying to debug the crash dump, are you running
    > | > SP 1 of Windows? Please upgrade to SP 2 if you are.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > | >
    > | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > | > _________________________________________________________

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Bob,

    Try the 2 and 3 suggestions I posted for you, and if the issue is still
    not resolved, ping one of the Microsoft employees in this newsgroup
    to see if they would analyse a crash dump if you send it to them.

    --

    "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:959DE7EB-87FF-4890-969B-F12966D62B0C@microsoft.com...
    | Jimmy,
    |
    | I used the event viewer and there was a KB article for the error but it
    | didn't provide any additional insight into the problem or provide a solution.
    |
    | Is there any way to tell what is occupying the 0x00000000 address when I
    | start the application and get the error?
    |
    | - Bob
    | --
    | AHIL-Bob
    |

    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Bob,
    | >
    | > Here are 3 more suggestions ...
    | >
    | > 1. Click Start / Control Panel /Administrative Tools / Event Viewer /
    | > Click the Applications listing on the left / in the right pane look for
    | > yellow or red symbols and doubleclick them to identify any problems,
    | > and they often have a link to a KB article you can read for the solution.
    | >
    | > 2. Allow Windows to control your pagefile at a "system managed size",
    | > and allow enough room for the pagefile size to = 1.5 * your RAM as per:
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/mcfedries/03june16.asp
    | > Another good reference is: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
    | >
    | > 3. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B45DB14E-6BBF-4B45-9D8D-ECEF65B51E8F@microsoft.com...
    | > | Yep - I used the upgrade version that had SP 2 with it.
    | > |
    | > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    | > |
> [...]
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi,

    I have the same problem with battlefield - but only when I try to
    connect to an online game. All other game modes work fine (at least
    Instant Battle)

    I also checked to play online with Battlefield 1942 (not Desert Combat)
    and that works just fine.

    HERE IS THE ERROR MESSAGE WHEN TRYING TO PLAY DESERT COMBAT ONLINE:

    -Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 1/7/2005
    Time: 8:45:55 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Application popup: BF1942 (Ver: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:58:45): BF1942.exe
    - Application Error : The instruction at "0x004931cc" referenced memory
    at "0x00000014". The memory could not be "written".

    Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program

    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.-

    THIS IS THE MICROSOFT EXPLANATION:

    -The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't
    have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is
    missing or corrupt.-

    I went through all the memory tests, etc. disabling firewalls,
    anti-virus, windows is updated correctly, you name it. I also pulled
    out all PCI Cards to see if the problem comes from there.

    I am out of ideas - if anybody has any other ideas... please let me
    know.
    cheers,
    andi

    System Info
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer INTEL_
    System Model D845EBG2
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1800 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. PT84520A.86A.0015.P08.0302261328,
    2/26/2003
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
    (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 354.28 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.22 GB

    Pentium 4 1.8A GHz
    Radeon 9200 128 MB

    --
    gigiga
    gigiga's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=6035

    Battlefield 0.7 resolved that problem it seems....

    --
    gigiga
    gigiga's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=6035
    View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84802
    Visit - http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Jimmy;

    I just wanted to update you. After working with MS directly and after trying
    everything we tried a second time I went back to extreme basics.

    The last major change other than updates was the upgrade to the Celron D
    2.53 processor. Since everything else was checked that seemed like the only
    candidate left. I replaced it with a P4 3.2 Ghz 800 fsb and the error
    disappeared.

    I never had a processor problem manifest itself in that way. My experience
    has been it works or doesn't work.

    I am going to contact Intel and try to get the Celeron replaced. I still
    like Celerons despite this interesting problem.

    Thanks again for helping!
    --
    AHIL-Bob

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

> [...]
    > | > and they often have a link to a KB article you can read for the solution.
    > | >
    > | > 2. Allow Windows to control your pagefile at a "system managed size",
    > | > and allow enough room for the pagefile size to = 1.5 * your RAM as per:
    > | > http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/mcfedries/03june16.asp
    > | > Another good reference is: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
    > | >
    > | > 3. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > | >
    > | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    That's a fascinating turn of events Bob.
    I truly admire your tenacity to troubleshoot the issue right
    down to the processor. I hope Intel accepts your findings.

    Thank you very much for the update Bob.

    Jimmy.

    "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B08CE083-9B1F-4C70-911A-BC85F345DDE0@microsoft.com...
    | Jimmy;
    |
    | I just wanted to update you. After working with MS directly and after trying
    | everything we tried a second time I went back to extreme basics.
    |
    | The last major change other than updates was the upgrade to the Celron D
    | 2.53 processor. Since everything else was checked that seemed like the only
    | candidate left. I replaced it with a P4 3.2 Ghz 800 fsb and the error
    | disappeared.
    |
    | I never had a processor problem manifest itself in that way. My experience
    | has been it works or doesn't work.
    |
    | I am going to contact Intel and try to get the Celeron replaced. I still
    | like Celerons despite this interesting problem.
    |
    | Thanks again for helping!
    | --
    | AHIL-Bob
    |

    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Bob,
    | >
    | > Try the 2 and 3 suggestions I posted for you, and if the issue is still
    | > not resolved, ping one of the Microsoft employees in this newsgroup
    | > to see if they would analyse a crash dump if you send it to them.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:959DE7EB-87FF-4890-969B-F12966D62B0C@microsoft.com...
    | > | Jimmy,
    | > |
    | > | I used the event viewer and there was a KB article for the error but it
    | > | didn't provide any additional insight into the problem or provide a solution.
    | > |
    | > | Is there any way to tell what is occupying the 0x00000000 address when I
    | > | start the application and get the error?
    | > |
    | > | - Bob
    | > | --
    | > | AHIL-Bob

> [...]