Cat 7 cable speed 500 ft

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Phones
  • Cable
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2013 5:45:39 AM

Where can Cat 7 cable be bought at longer lengths?
We need 500 ft.

Thank you, Dick or Karen Gowins
[CONTENT REMOVED]

I have edited out your phone number to protect you from possible harassment. Please do not post sensitive information on the forums, or anywhere else on the net for that matter. This includes your phone number, email, credit card numbers, etc.
- Apanzee; Moderator

More about : cat cable speed 500

a c 106 B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 9:08:59 AM

^ That be a lot of cable.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 4:12:26 PM

I used to work for an HVAC company in their IT department, ok I WAS their IT department. We had a contact for electrical wire supplies from a local lighting and electrical company. Their storefront was internal and external lighting as well a lamps, ceiling fans, etc. They kept bulk wiring of ALL kinds and you could just walk in the front door and buy UTP wire by the box. You may want to try to find a store like this locally and ask if they sell bulk wire. I remember it was pretty comparable to what online prices were. You would need a crimping tool and ends for the cable though.

Can I ask why you are using CAT7 cable? Cat7 uses GG45 terminating ends, which are backward compatible with RJ45 ports, but I don't know if there are even termination tools out there that are all that cheap. I guess you could terminate a Cat7 with an RJ45, but that's not in "spec".

Unless you are running 10GB 100meters you don't need Cat7. Cat6a will run 10GB 55meters and 1GB 100meters.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 4:18:25 PM

If this is for network installations, Ethernet protocol for copper cable can only handle 100m (328 feet). It's a hard limit, too. I once had to cut 2 feet off a run that was not working because we determined it was 330' and then it magically started working.

If you need to exceed this length, you need to use some type of fiber installation.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 4:46:41 PM

dickgowins said:
Where can Cat 7 cable be bought at longer lengths?
We need 500 ft.

Thank you, Dick or Karen Gowins
[CONTENT REMOVED]

I STRONGLY suggest you edit your post to remove your phone number.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 6:36:10 PM

Now it is in your post, too, so it won't do much good.
m
l
February 14, 2013 10:07:42 PM

I saw it, and removed it. No worries guys, lol.
m
l
!