December 29, 2012 1:29:08 AM

My build is a: Phenom II X6 1045t
Asus M5a99x evo
Cooler Master eXtreme 700w
1tb Seagate & 128 gb boot drive SSD
Blu-ray Drive
Phantom 410 mid tower
XFX 7950 DD

So I got the 7950 3 days ago and I noticed that the performance on it was really sub par. Running the 12.11 drivers I used MSI Afterburner to check my GPU's performance and for the first 30 seconds it would run fine and then just dip immediately and run at no more then 30% and won't go up. As far as I can tell nothing is creating a bottleneck.My only though is that the GPU itself is deffective. I have read elsewhere that the CPU isn't the best but I was able to get better and more consistent results with my old 6670 then I do now.

Any help is appreciated.
December 29, 2012 1:52:51 AM

Also if it helps nothing is overclocked and when I did my first boot up of the computer with the new GPU I forgot to plug in the two 6pins if that has any effect.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 2:09:34 AM

Try this:

Play a game
Run it on Lowest settings (Check fps)
Run it on Medium settings (Check fps)
Run it on Ultra settings (Check fps)

And tell us the FPS in each case.
Play a modern game like BF3 Far cry3 etc.

m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 2:28:54 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Try this:

Play a game
Run it on Lowest settings (Check fps)
Run it on Medium settings (Check fps)
Run it on Ultra settings (Check fps)

And tell us the FPS in each case.
Play a modern game like BF3 Far cry3 etc.

Ok So after driving around in Sleeping Dogs using Fraps as a benchmark software the framerate would just dip for no reason, nothing would happen it would just slow down
Low: Min:16 Max:118 Avg:64, I checked the gpu usage in afterburner and it was mostly high except for two dips when the fps tanked
Med: Min:8 Max:91 Avg: 35 Again ran well but took even more severe dips.
High: Min:7 Max:34 Avg: 16 This time it dipped and stayed there.

When playing the game you can clearly notice the random dips in performance and that when its running at around 70 fps that its no fluke and that it should be there, you can feel the unnatural lag if that makes sense.
m
l
December 29, 2012 2:35:07 AM

Do a Bios update on your motherboard and your Graphics card
m
l
December 29, 2012 2:45:45 AM

mc_creeper said:
Do a Bios update on your motherboard and your Graphics card

The only option for bios downloads I am getting are for a USB format, although I am being told that there is an updated bios for lower fan profile but I cannot find it, please link me if you can.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 6:24:43 AM

Which OS you have? And 32 or 64bit OS?

Is your card's fans running? Use Afterburner ans set it to "User Define"
Maybe your card is Overheating
m
l
a c 78 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 6:42:04 AM

I absolutely would not run a 7950 on that PSU. The extreme power plus series is well known to be garbage, and quality only gets worse as wattage goes up. No professional reviews for it but I doubt its any better than the 600w

www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-P...
m
l
December 29, 2012 1:43:45 PM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Which OS you have? And 32 or 64bit OS?

Is your card's fans running? Use Afterburner ans set it to "User Define"
Maybe your card is Overheating

I have windows 7 64 bit. The fans on the graphics card are running fine. I've seen the temperature of the card go no higher then 54c and when it has then the fans kicked up and the temp went right back down. Idle the card runs under 30c.
m
l
December 29, 2012 1:47:21 PM

unksol said:
I absolutely would not run a 7950 on that PSU. The extreme power plus series is well known to be garbage, and quality only gets worse as wattage goes up. No professional reviews for it but I doubt its any better than the 600w

www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-P...

I was about to get a corsair gs700 yesterday although the clerk at the store said that the PSU wouldn't have any affect on the computer. It could still be possible that after things heat up in a game after time and things need to be power and cooled more the power supple just can't deliver whats needed and at a consistent voltage. So psu is still an option thanks.
m
l
December 29, 2012 6:19:19 PM

While running any game I noticed that my CPU never maxed out aswell, it got to maybe 70% on most cores and 80% on the fourth.
m
l
!