Graphics Card Suggestions (I am Sir Noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMayge

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hey guys, I'm new to the whole "actually knowing whats inside my machine" thing, and I could use some help.
I got a new PC for Christmas, but it needs a lot of work before it's ready to run the games I want it to. So far I've had to deal with not enough RAM (solved, bought more RAM), a 32-bit OS not accepting all 8 GB of RAM (solved, bought 64-bit version), and now I'm confused on a number of things.

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 Mini-tower, a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and 6 GB of RAM ready to be added.

I found some really good graphics cards like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130796

Like I said, I'm completely new to this, but I found the phrase "PCIE 1.0A" somewhere in the documentation which effectively scared the bejesus out of me.
So my question is basically three parts:

1) In layman's terms, what slots do I have?
2) Looking at my documentation, what graphics card do you reccomend? (My budgets is around $80)
3) If I got the best graphics card possible (with respect to my budget and ports), could I run mid-tier games like BFBC2 and Tribes: Ascend?

I know this question, and my nooblyness, is daunting, but an answer would be much appriciated.

Thanks!
A Noobly Mage

Solution

With your PSU severely limiting you I would stick to the 7750.

Diamond 7750 1gb GDDR5 $107 shipped $87 after rebate. Cheaper, but still a little out of your price range.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Your motherboard has an available PCIE x16 slot so you can actually run anything out there. The problem is space (full size card probably won't fit in your case) and your PSU. Your power supply is inadequate to run anything that draws power straight from it.

The Radeon 7750 Low Profile will fit both of those demands. The problem is that it sits around $105 on Newegg. Sapphire 7750 1gb GDDR5 Low-Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.