Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

How do i get hdd of my new build to work?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2013 12:56:27 PM

I had alot of problems installing an ssd then i found out to get it to recognize i had to go to control panel- system - drives and start a new drive pool. Then i clean installed windows to the ssd and it works perfect. But now when i plug back in my hdd it doesnt recognize it in windows even if i go to system-drives. I plugged both my ssd and my seagate barracuda 1tb into ports one and two which are both sata 6per second intel ports. Do i need to go to bios and enable sata hot ports 1 and 2? The ssd is working with it disabled. Is this the wrong port? It sees it in bios. I just want the hdd to recognize so i can format it and use it as the storage drive. I have an msi z77a gd65 mobo. Never new this day an age windows still isnt user friendly. Nobody likes having to look up everything bill! The hdd is a seagate barracuda 1tb and it is the old OS drive. Im using windows 8

More about : hdd build work

February 14, 2013 12:59:16 PM

And if it needs formatting, how do i format somthing windows wont show in disk management? Can i format in bios. So aggravating to have this holding my new build back
m
l
February 14, 2013 1:14:05 PM

Alrighty then, when you go to the BIOS ensure that the boot drive has boot priority. Secondly, make sure that the HDD is in ASCI (or whatever it is called). Reboot. If the drive is still not being recognized, turn off your computer. Unplug the SSD. Put the Windows installation disk in and go to your bios. Have the boot priority set to the disk or thumb drive that has the Windows Installation file. Go through the install process until you see were it asks you which drive you want to install windows. If you see the HDD, right click it and click format (it may also just be an option on the menu). Once that is done, cancel the installation. Turn off the PC. Plug in the SSD. Turn on the computer and go to BIOS. Set boot priority to the SSD, and set the HDD in ASCI mode (or whatever it is called, I don't remember). Take out the Windows Installation disk and start up the computer. If that doesn't work, then I don't know whats wrong.
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2013 1:21:49 PM

Thanks a ton i will try when i get home
m
l
February 15, 2013 1:26:46 AM

Windows updated and now recognizes the drive. F u windows..... F u!!!!! Lol
m
l
February 15, 2013 1:29:30 AM