Sign in with
Your question

Multiple exploding power supplies! Please help!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Power Supplies
  • Games
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2013 1:04:34 PM

Hi! I've built a pc for my friend so he can play games on it, but everytime he goes to play a game on it, his power supply explodes! When I built it, me and my friend was playing games on it for hours at my house, and it was working perfectly, but when he takes it round to his house, he plays a game and the power supply explodes! This has happened 3 times now!
Here's his specs:
i5 2320
P8H61-LX
8GB XMS3 Corsair RAM
500GB hard drive
Asus GTX 560 Ti 2GB
Alpine 700w power sully (I know it's terrible!)
We have tried 3 different power supplies (all same model) but all of them have exploded at his house, but not at mine! Could it be that there is something wrong with his plug sockets or something? Also, if he buys a Corsair CX500 power supply, would this one explode? Thanks :D 

More about : multiple exploding power supplies

February 14, 2013 1:09:16 PM

calpol55 said:
Hi! I've built a pc for my friend so he can play games on it, but everytime he goes to play a game on it, his power supply explodes! When I built it, me and my friend was playing games on it for hours at my house, and it was working perfectly, but when he takes it round to his house, he plays a game and the power supply explodes! This has happened 3 times now!
Here's his specs:
i5 2320
P8H61-LX
8GB XMS3 Corsair RAM
500GB hard drive
Asus GTX 560 Ti 2GB
Alpine 700w power sully (I know it's terrible!)
We have tried 3 different power supplies (all same model) but all of them have exploded at his house, but not at mine! Could it be that there is something wrong with his plug sockets or something? Also, if he buys a Corsair CX500 power supply, would this one explode? Thanks :D 

May be something to do with his sockets. This seems like a rude question, but is his house dirty? Do you think he has leakage that may result in water in the socket? And what do you mean by "explodes"? Like literally blows up into a fiery wreckage? Or just get burnt and it can't be used?
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 1:12:33 PM

Since it is fine at your house, I would say he has some serious power issues at his. I would have an electrician check it out.
Related resources
February 14, 2013 1:16:01 PM

Generic PSUs aren't the best, but they definitely shouldn't do that. And absolutely not 3 times in a row...the issues isn't the PC, it's the electrics at the house.

Seriously, there's a chance of someone dying if the electrics are dodgy at the house, he needs to get that sorted out. Like, yesterday.
February 14, 2013 1:23:07 PM

If we get an electrician to check it out, what should we ask him to check? Would he see the problem himself?
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 1:24:02 PM

Just tell him what you told us..he will know what to do.
February 14, 2013 1:24:28 PM

SHORYUKEN said:
May be something to do with his sockets. This seems like a rude question, but is his house dirty? Do you think he has leakage that may result in water in the socket? And what do you mean by "explodes"? Like literally blows up into a fiery wreckage? Or just get burnt and it can't be used?

His house isn't really dirty, and the power supplies make a loud bang with a shower of blue sparks coming out of the back of it
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 1:24:59 PM

Country
For US.
First check the Oulet fo Proper Wiring.
Very simple, go to Lowes or Home depot and buy a cheap tester.
This will verify proper polarity, Ie hot, common nd ground.
You plug it in and read the lights.

Question Is he using an UPS. If so Some UPS have a really bad Output AC waveform that can damage some Computer power supplies.
Simple check is to plug System directly into wall outlet - AFTER doing # 1 above.

For " dirty Power" need expensive equipment , ie an O'scope. So better left to a tech to verify house wiring.
February 14, 2013 1:26:12 PM

calpol55 said:
His house isn't really dirty, and the power supplies make a loud bang with a shower of blue sparks coming out of the back of it

Did that damage any of the parts? As in, is it only the back?
February 14, 2013 1:27:12 PM

I'm in the UK, and we aren't using a UPS
February 14, 2013 1:28:17 PM

SHORYUKEN said:
Did that damage any of the parts? As in, is it only the back?

It's only coming out of the back of the PC, and all of the parts are still fine
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 1:29:34 PM

Quality PSUs have SCP (Short Circuit Protection), OVP (Over Voltage Protection), UVP, & OCP...all these will function if he has something wrong with the power socket.

Also it may be related to the input voltage, cheap garbage PSUs don't operate @220V

Get Corsair TX 650W
February 14, 2013 1:29:55 PM

calpol55 said:
It's only coming out of the back of the PC, and all of the parts are still fine

Yeahhh. I recommend calling an electrician to check out the cables and leakage.
February 14, 2013 1:33:19 PM

ilysaml said:
Quality PSUs have SCP (Short Circuit Protection), OVP (Over Voltage Protection), UVP, & OCP...all these will function if he has something wrong with the power socket.

Also it may be related to the input voltage, cheap garbage PSUs don't operate @220V

Get Corsair TX 650W

So if we get a TX 650, if something goes wrong again, will those protections stop the power supply from exploding? Also, will I be able to continue using the computer afterwards or would the power supply be broken?
February 14, 2013 1:34:00 PM

Thanks everyone, I'm going to call an electrician and see what he can do! :D 
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 1:35:25 PM

i wouldn't spend any more money on any pc parts and plug it in there until it is checked out by a tech. Someone could end up hurt or worse and at a minimum, you/he/she will be out more computer parts.
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 1:36:29 PM

calpol55 said:
So if we get a TX 650, if something goes wrong again, will those protections stop the power supply from exploding? Also, will I be able to continue using the computer afterwards or would the power supply be broken?

No it wouldn't harm the PSU neither the components, the PC won't operate or will shut down immediately if anything occurs.
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 1:37:14 PM

yes like the guys say, just get an electrician.
February 14, 2013 1:43:08 PM

JamesSneed said:
In the UK you obviously need a different mains tester but you can find them cheap. I suspect the house has a wiring issue which for many electronics isn't a noticeable issue.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Mains-Socket-Safety-Teste...

I'm going to buy one of those and if it comes up with any faults, I'll tell the electrician. Thanks for all the replies everyone! :D 
February 14, 2013 1:47:22 PM

Have you tried other sockets in the house? Might just be an issue with the one (wired up incorrectly etc). Has that socket been used for anything else before?

a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 2:07:29 PM

A better model of surge protector will also indicate correct/incorrect wiring normlly.
A cheap Voltmeter (Very simple to use) will also verify polarity. Left or right prong will be 220->240. when measured o the ground prong. The other one should read zero (although most will show 1 to 2 volts). Need to verify which side should be Hot
February 14, 2013 2:15:19 PM

RetiredChief said:
A better model of surge protector will also indicate correct/incorrect wiring normlly.
A cheap Voltmeter (Very simple to use) will also verify polarity. Left or right prong will be 220->240. when measured o the ground prong. The other one should read zero (although most will show 1 to 2 volts). Need to verify which side should be Hot

Awesome, I'll get that checked out too :) 
April 5, 2013 10:41:48 AM

RetiredChief said:

So it took a while, but I've finally got an electrician out to check the plugs. He said that the plugs are working perfectly, absolutely nothing wrong with it, now I'm confused! What else could be exploding my power supplies?! Could it be temperature? Because I've heard that cheap power supplies can only go up to something like 30C or something, that seems a bit low doesn't it?
April 6, 2013 7:55:30 AM

Anyone have an idea?
April 6, 2013 1:08:14 PM

The only thing it could be is that you've been unlucky with generic PSUs. Your system probably sucks down about 300-400W on load, and a generic PSU may not be able to provide that, hence fails. A branded PSU won't have that issue.
April 6, 2013 4:28:00 PM

diellur said:
The only thing it could be is that you've been unlucky with generic PSUs. Your system probably sucks down about 300-400W on load, and a generic PSU may not be able to provide that, hence fails. A branded PSU won't have that issue.

Ah thank you ^_^ I'm getting an XFX 550w power supply for it anyways :D 
April 6, 2013 6:08:04 PM

thanks for coming back with the update. :) 
April 7, 2013 2:00:59 AM

I'd perhaps recommend 600-650W for that system, just to give you some headroom.
a b ) Power supply
April 8, 2013 1:10:05 PM

550 is definitely enough for his system
!