Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia Driver and Microsoft Security Essentials

Last response: in Windows 7
March 12, 2012 11:01:33 PM

Hello.

Yesterday I installed a GTX560Ti with Nvidia's driver 295.73. Since I upgraded I noticed that my CPU usage has shot up, and that my cpu is unable to idle down to 16Ghz anymore.

In my task manager processes I found that MsMpEng.exe has shot up to around 50,000k usage. I read around and found that this process is related to microsoft security essentials which I have installed.

Is there some conflict between the driver and MSE that can be fixed?

Thanks in advance

Windows 7 HP SP1
CPU: 2500k
Mobo: MSI Z68A-GD65
GPU: EVGA GTX560ti
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2012 11:17:04 PM

jsamari said:
Hello.

Yesterday I installed a GTX560Ti with Nvidia's driver 295.73. Since I upgraded I noticed that my CPU usage has shot up, and that my cpu is unable to idle down to 16Ghz anymore.

In my task manager processes I found that MsMpEng.exe has shot up to around 50,000k usage. I read around and found that this process is related to microsoft security essentials which I have installed.

Is there some conflict between the driver and MSE that can be fixed?

Thanks in advance

Windows 7 HP SP1
CPU: 2500k
Mobo: MSI Z68A-GD65
GPU: EVGA GTX560ti

MsMpEng.exe is the update engine for MSE -- Don't think it is a conflict, but it is annoying as hell, and usually goes away. How long does it last ?
m
l
March 13, 2012 2:48:58 AM

ksiemb said:
MsMpEng.exe is the update engine for MSE -- Don't think it is a conflict, but it is annoying as hell, and usually goes away. How long does it last ?

MSE is up to date. After installing the nvidia driver, when I boot up the MSE icon in my sys tray stays red for about 30 sec indicating it is not operating. After that it turns green, but msmpeng stays at a high cpu usage as long as the computer is on.
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2012 3:14:57 AM

This file is also related to Windows Defender. Do you have it disabled? If not you can disable it, but if you don't want to you can also go to Window Defenders advanced options and add c:\program files\windows defender to the list of files not to scan. That may fix your problem as well.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2012 8:59:59 AM

jsamari said:
MSE is up to date. After installing the nvidia driver, when I boot up the MSE icon in my sys tray stays red for about 30 sec indicating it is not operating. After that it turns green, but msmpeng stays at a high cpu usage as long as the computer is on.

You may have to exclude MSE from itself, by adding its files to its own exclusion list - Yeah, sounds crazy, to exclude MSE from MSE, but I did this on an XP machine, and it did resolve high CPU usage.

add the directories below to MSSE exclusions:
(Be sure you set your system to Show Hidden Files in Windows Explorer, because C:\ProgramData is hidden in Windows 7, and so is the “All Users” profile folder in XP.)

- – For Windows 7 – -

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials

- – For Windows XP – -

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials

Also search for: by "Microsoft Security Client", and add files, if found.
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:30:35 PM

Facepalm!
turns out I had forgotten to uninstall the iGPU driver. Thanks for the help anyway!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 14, 2012 6:46:22 PM

jsamari said:
Facepalm!
turns out I had forgotten to uninstall the iGPU driver. Thanks for the help anyway!

Glad you have it afloat.
m
l
!