Sign in with
Your question

First Time Gaming PC Build

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2013 4:57:30 PM

Hello everyone,

I am about to build a PC for the first time, as the title says. This PC will be for gaming and video editing. I primarily play WoW, and arena at that, so I understand that my build doesn't need to be graphic card itensive. I would really appreciate any input whatsoever on my build, as I'm sure there is room for improvement, being that, once again, I've never done this before.

My Build (ignore any peripherals, I am confident on the keyboard/mouse etc & I have a monitor)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Drgi

I have several concerns. Mainly dealing with fans and airflow. I will be dual mounting 140mm fans in the front of the case, putting a 140mm in the bottom, 2 interior 140mm tilted (aiming towards the rear exhaust fan)(similar to the two interiors in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfBm114rzI ), 1 exhast 140mm fan in back, h100i with stock 120mms in top of case, with a 140mm beside this one (top seats 3 140mms, I will have corsair h100i, with one 140mm fan beside it in other words). My main concerns are only having one exhaust fan, and every other being intake. Can you use the h100i fans as exaust to? I am going to class soon and will hopefully soon post a diagram of the airflow that i intend to do. Also, dust filters. Should I be concerned about this? The case comes with the dust filters in the front and the bottom, but what about the top fans? should I look into buying filters for these? The thermal armor that comes with the h100i is good enough right? I''d like to overclock to 4.5.

My PSU is plenty, correct?

I am using intel over amd and nvidia over ati, as from what i've seen, they benchmark higher in WoW.

I chose the i7 over the i5 for rendering videos.

Is there anything I am missing or can improve on? Are there any additional cables that I need? I am trying to cover all the bases before ordering, so any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thank You

More about : time gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 14, 2013 5:30:02 PM

You wont need all those extra fans

You are probably just making it louder , but I suppose the good news is that every time you play WOW its going to suck all the dust out of your carpet
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 14, 2013 5:30:17 PM

You are probably just making it louder , but I suppose the good news is that every time you play WOW its going to suck all the dust out of your carpet
m
l
Related resources
a c 276 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 14, 2013 6:00:27 PM

Outlander_04 said:

Yeah there's a lot of stuff in that build that's massive overkill. You could drop the CPU, the expensive (and heat trap) motherboard, and all those fans, and the fancy lighting. And then get a 670 instead of a 680.

For that budget you could get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1905.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-14 15:00 EST-0500)

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 14, 2013 6:03:02 PM

Well in response to the above, unless your shipping is bundled so its cheaper, you can order the fans after you have used your build for a while and see if you actually need all the cooling

You only need dust filters for fans that are pulling air in so it depends how you set up the fans

You can use the h100i to exhaust if you want but it will be slightly hotter than if set up as intake 2-3c

IMO setup the rear fan as intake, fronts as intake, and bottom as intake while the top fans as exhaust
m
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 14, 2013 6:09:41 PM

stickmansam said:
Well in response to the above, unless your shipping is bundled so its cheaper, you can order the fans after you have used your build for a while and see if you actually need all the cooling

You only need dust filters for fans that are pulling air in so it depends how you set up the fans

You can use the h100i to exhaust if you want but it will be slightly hotter than if set up as intake 2-3c

IMO setup the rear fan as intake, fronts as intake, and bottom as intake while the top fans as exhaust

Why would you bother with plastic water coolers? Get a real liquid cooling setup if you've got that kind of budget.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 14, 2013 6:24:21 PM

^ because that was what the OP said, I gave my opinion in regards to what he has set up so far to optimize that

m
l
February 14, 2013 6:26:49 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah there's a lot of stuff in that build that's massive overkill. You could drop the CPU, the expensive (and heat trap) motherboard, and all those fans, and the fancy lighting. And then get a 670 instead of a 680.

For that budget you could get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1905.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-14 15:00 EST-0500)

I may be able to get the i7 3770k at micro center for $230, so wouldn't this be ideal? It was my understanding that WoW does not utilize SLI, which is why I went with 1 gtx 680. Is this not true? It is the main game I play, afterall. Maybe just go with 1 670 to save money? Idk.

As far as the ASUS z77 vs ASROCK z77, I picked the asus after googling several threads saying asus was more reliable/ warranty issues. So you would advice the ASROCK?

I suppose I'm not getting any real benefit from using 16gb ram over 8, so I'll drop that.

As far as the fans go, I'll just not order the 3 extra fans in the pcpartpicker that I linked.

As far as custom liquid cooling goes, I am a bit nervous to do this on my first go. I will start doing some more liquid cooling research, however, because I should probably suck it up and learn. As a first time builder, should I only liquid cool the CPU? The CPU and the GPU? Would you recommend installing the radiator in the top of the case if I do this? If these are set to pull, air in, will I need to buy filters for these fans?
m
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 14, 2013 6:32:10 PM

Quote:
I may be able to get the i7 3770k at micro center for $230, so wouldn't this be ideal? It was my understanding that WoW does not utilize SLI, which is why I went with 1 gtx 680. Is this not true? It is the main game I play, afterall. Maybe just go with 1 670 to save money? Idk.

You can but it's not really needed. Most games don't use hyper threading so it's not worth the extra money. 1 GTX 670 will definitely save you some money - they use the same processor and the 670 is $100 cheaper.

Quote:
As far as the ASUS z77 vs ASROCK z77, I picked the asus after googling several threads saying asus was more reliable/ warranty issues. So you would advice the ASROCK?

The Sabertooth has a better warranty but it's extremely overrated and that plastic armor traps more heat than it prevents. The only remedy Asus has come up with is to include a pair of 80mm fans that don't do anything but circulate the already heated air flow. Don't bother with this one. Alternately check out the Gigabyte UD3H.

Quote:
I suppose I'm not getting any real benefit from using 16gb ram over 8, so I'll drop that.

That is correct.

Quote:
As far as the fans go, I'll just not order the 3 extra fans in the pcpartpicker that I linked.

The thing with fans is you can always add more as you need them.

Quote:
As far as custom liquid cooling goes, I am a bit nervous to do this on my first go. I will start doing some more liquid cooling research, however, because I should probably suck it up and learn. As a first time builder, should I only liquid cool the CPU? The CPU and the GPU? Would you recommend installing the radiator in the top of the case if I do this? If these are set to pull, air in, will I need to buy filters for these fans?

There's no reason to purchase a plastic water block like the H100. It will only cool the CPU. In order to achieve a full custom loop the CPU would also need a water cooling method - right now the only GPU I know of that does this is the EVGA Hydro Copper series but that can cost mega $$$. You will not need to buy filters for these fans.
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:43:32 PM

Quote:
There's no reason to purchase a plastic water block like the H100. It will only cool the CPU. In order to achieve a full custom loop the CPU would also need a water cooling method - right now the only GPU I know of that does this is the EVGA Hydro Copper series but that can cost mega $$$. You will not need to buy filters for these fans.

Are you saying you're recommending that I do custom liquid cooling, and recommending that I only use it to cool the CPU?
m
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 14, 2013 7:34:48 PM

dakotaritz said:
Quote:

Are you saying you're recommending that I do custom liquid cooling, and recommending that I only use it to cool the CPU?

No, I would only do custom cooling if you feel you're ready for it. Stick with a strong air fan like the Noctua NH-U9B otherwise.
m
l
!