Sign in with
Your question

My new gaming machine! could use some advice and rate it why not!

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2013 5:37:49 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($245.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($150.81 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($228.35 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($589.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($127.49 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Wired Standard Keyboard ($159.00 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2220.55
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-14 14:51 EST-0500)

did most the assembly last night and just finished up this morning and got windows 8 installed. everything went smooth on the first power on. just changed the mem to 1866 in bios and updated video drivers and got path of exile, mumble, aim installed so far.

I'm looking for a cpu cooling option as the noctua nh-d14 wont clear my ram. I havent checked to see if the ram will work in slots 2/4 and it might fit then. if anybody knows a good air cooling option for me let me know! I'm considering going with an h80i corsair cooler or trying to fit the bigger double sized radiator in the front of my antec 900. sounds like a chore that could end with me having to return parts though.

this is the first time I have actually spent some effort with cable management and ran what I could behind the motherboard tray. man it looks so much nicer that way. I'll have to take some pics. I might be hooked on making things look nice now. I used to not care at all.

anyways rate my build and give me some advice on cooling. I'm probably going to replace the stock fans with noctua 4 pins since my motherboard has all 4 pin fan plugs and I'm def going to update my cpu cooler as soon as I decide what route to go.

anybody still using a rubber dome keyboard or not sure what mechanical to get. I can highly recommend the filco majestouch 2's this thing makes typing a pleasure and I feel like I should ramble on every sentence now just to get some extra pleasurable typing in. the difference in actuation points makes for no missed letters and I don't have to feel like I am slowing myself down to make sure I mash every key. I feel like I've just been unleashed.

I went with mx-blacks for gaming and was a little worried they would be worse for typing. but man this just goes to show any mechanical is going to be a night and day difference from a rubber dome keyboard. I'm in love with this keyboard.
February 14, 2013 5:59:39 PM

Looks like a nice build, nothing wrong with above and beyond if you've got the cash lol :-) I know what you mean about the cable management, I just transferred my box over to a brand new Thermaltake Soprano from a cheap ol AZZA box, took the time to actually route all of my cables and WOW! Huge difference in look feel and airflow, couldn't be happier :-D What case did you choose to cram all that stuff in? Just curious, and what monitor will you be using? As far as Air cooling goes, I went the cheap route with a Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212. It works really well for me. I have a 2500k at 4.5Ghz and in Prime95 it runs just over 60C. I had to move my high profile RAM to slots 2 and 4, but with 16GB I won't be needing an upgrade anytime soon lol. I don't have any experience with the Noctua, but have heard it's the best one on the market, and unless you are doing some extreme overclocking you won't need anything water cooled unless space around the CPU is a concern, and you have the spots for the radiator. Try moving the RAM slots it should do the trick. Replacing stock fans is usually the first thing I do, I have corsair AF fans for the case and Corsair SP fans for my cooler, for some reason I swear by corsair, their fans have always lasted the longest for me.
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2013 6:07:52 PM

i got another antec 900 so it would match my other computer. I was tempted to change it up but I wanted them looking good side by side. forgot to add it to my part picker list so I edited my post to show it.

In hindsight I probably should have gone with a case that would easily take a double fan sized radiator for a water cooler but I have never use water cooling and it makes me nervous lol.

I was looking at the hyper evo 212 also. some other threads I saw recommended it for when the larger ones wont fit. I might end up with that and sticking noctua fan on one or both sides of it.
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:20:00 PM

oh i forgot to tell answer your question about the monitor. I have a dell 30 inch that I got back in 2007 that I still like a lot.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 6:22:09 PM

Cooling recommendation: custom water.

As for the rating, $2200 for a single GTX 680 build is quite bad, 5/10. Could have made better choices.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 6:26:09 PM

FinneousPJ said:

As for the rating, $2200 for a single GTX 680 build is quite bad, 5/10. Could have made better choices.

I have to agreee, if you not into custom, grab a Corsair h100i.
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:28:53 PM

Cool, well I like your build, you've got top quality stuff in there, sure you could have saved a few hundred bucks with a couple different choices, but you've got a machine that'll last you there bro, enjoy it! :-)
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:30:20 PM

camohanna said:
I have to agreee, if you not into custom, grab a Corsair h100i.

yeah custom water setup might be a bit too much to tackle for some people, if you want to go for the all in one option, that H100 is the way to go, if you've got the space for that radiator
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:35:59 PM

FinneousPJ said:

yeah I can understand a response like that. I actually expected one. I have a couple of self made rules over the years that have always brought me great longevity, little to no part failure over years and years, great stability for a 24 hour on computer, and great performance.

these rules I use are Asus boards, Corsair memory with the best timings available, Nvidia graphics cards. Over the last few computers I've really been happy with evga. I have never ran sli so I don't know much about it but I usually try to get the best graphics card I can since I don't upgrade or build new computers that often. I did some brief research prior to building this time about sli and the game I currently play(path of exile) and the company is small and new and most things I read seemed like they weren't optimized to take full advantage of sli. I don't have a full understanding of sli and even know if that's relevant though. maybe its only a hardware thing and not something they have to program around.

I generally dont restrict myself to a budget much when I do build a new computer though because I do it so rarely I like to just go all out with what I think will be great.

On that note I do not do this everyday for a living and am no place close to the best at it. I just do some research and get my hands dirty so to speak.

I am really interested to know what you would have done differently though. I am always looking to learn new things and new tricks.
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:41:06 PM

bdiddytampa said:
yeah custom water setup might be a bit too much to tackle for some people, if you want to go for the all in one option, that H100 is the way to go, if you've got the space for that radiator

It may be time for me to do it just for the sake of learning it. time to start reading everything I can find about custom water I guess.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 6:45:46 PM

dhv said:
It may be time for me to do it just for the sake of learning it. time to start reading everything I can find about custom water I guess.

Good luck but it is expensive
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 6:51:26 PM

Well, for gaming you could get the same level of performance with pretty much $1k less

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1151.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-14 15:51 EST-0500)
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:51:31 PM

dhv said:

I've never felt the need to go for water cooling since air cooling has always worked so well for me. But that's just me :-)
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:52:38 PM

camohanna said:
Good luck but it is expensive

yeah i dont know what it costs to do it. but i'll do some reading. if its not cost efficient at all the idea could get scrapped. it would be cool to learn something new though.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 6:59:25 PM

dhv said:
yeah i dont know what it costs to do it. but i'll do some reading. if its not cost efficient at all the idea could get scrapped. it would be cool to learn something new though.

From what i have heard, its $200-300+. A H100i is ~$100
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 7:22:24 PM

dhv said:

I thought your build was about not being cost efficient :p  But seriously if you build a PC for $2200 it should have custom water :lol: 
m
l
February 14, 2013 7:33:37 PM

FinneousPJ said:
I thought your build was about not being cost efficient :p  But seriously if you build a PC for $2200 it should have custom water :lol: 

lol good point. I wanted to ensure I could stream and game at the same time. and I often use my 60" tv as my second monitor and watch tv/movies on it so I thought the 4gig vid card might help the multi tasking and multi monitor stuff some.

thanks for posting your build finneous. I would get the same mouse/keyboard no matter what though. and wanting to able to live stream and game at the same time is why I went with some of the more expensive options. and I don't want to go with radeon because I've had driver/stability issues the few times I have used them.

some items on your list are just clear downgrades. obviously those are cheaper. somebody on that budget would be more than happy with the computer they got though I'm sure.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2013 8:41:49 PM

The most important thing is you're happy. But you did ask for a rating ;) 
m
l
!