Sign in with
Your question
Solved

800w power supply [Need answer fast]

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2013 5:57:46 PM

So i just ordered a cyberpower pc, and i also just read three different horror stories about the 800w Xtream gear power supply, am I going to have any problems with this?
Specs:
CAS: Cooler Master Elite 431 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window

CASUPGRADE: 12in Cold Cathode Neon Light [+10] (Blue Color)

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770 3.40 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155

FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull)

HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+0] (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [Free upgrade from 8GB Major Brand + Double Memory] (Kingston HyperX [Free upgrade from 8GB Major Brand + Double Memory])

MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Ultra Durable 4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Extreme OC Certified)

POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+0]

VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+134] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 6:02:31 PM

Going to be hit and miss. In theory, it should work just fine. Look at it from this point of view. If EVERY power supply they sold was crap and blew up, they wouldn't be in business.

-Wolf sends
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:03:38 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Going to be hit and miss. In theory, it should work just fine.

-Wolf sends

So should i not be worried?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 6:03:53 PM

See my edit above.
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:09:37 PM

Wolfshadw said:
See my edit above.

Alright thanks :) 
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:28:57 PM

With all CyberPowerPC purchases we stand by our products and offer a warranty with your pc and a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you are still not confident about the PSU give our sales team a call at (800) 707-0393 and they can further assist you or upgrade to the best and most affordable psu that you know of.
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:38:09 PM

^^^

Take advantage of this, you don't want that psu in your sweet new rig (if you can help it).

Wolf is right, it will probably be fine - the question is for how long - a day, a week, forever - it could be any of them. And When/If it does die comes the (insert price of computer here) question.... Will it go peacefully, or will it take the rest of the rig with it?

How long ago did you order it? If you call cyberpower quickly, they will probably even change it out before the rig goes out the door, last I knew it took them a week or to to assemble the pc's.....
m
l
February 14, 2013 6:38:57 PM

@cyberpowerpc said:
With all CyberPowerPC purchases we stand by our products and offer a warranty with your pc and a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you are still not confident about the PSU give our sales team a call at (800) 707-0393 and they can further assist you or upgrade to the best and most affordable psu that you know of.

Do you get complaints about this partucular psu?
m
l
February 14, 2013 7:10:08 PM

I spent some time shopping for a cyberpower pc and found them to be a very helpful and straightforward group, here is a direct quote from back then (6-8 months ago.)

5. ALWAYS upgrade the Power Supply (PSU) from the XtremeGear or standard offering. We feel that these fail too often, and a bad power supply can cause all kinds of problems.

Note: this was from a forum member, not an actual cyberpower representative, but it is good advice.

Edit: Actually the topic was "Build Recommendations From Owners" and it included a reference to here:

4. Research CPU, GPU and motherboards at a bare minimum. Google for reviews, and consult Tom's Hardware and Passmark for articles and benchmarks.
m
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 7:36:09 PM

An HD 7870 only needs a recommended 500w power supply. To run 2 x HD 7870s in Crossfire 600 watts is recommended.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

That Cyberpower feels the need to use an "800 watt" power supply speaks volumes about the lack of quality of their stock units. Very likely, like most cheap, low quality units it can not supply the power it's rated at. If you were to try to use it as an 800w unit it would probably explode and could take other components with it. If it's used as the 450-500w it probably really is it might be fine.

The question should be how good is the voltage regulation and how much ripple and noise is it producing. A very low quality power supply can be so far out of spec that the "dirty" voltage it produces can cause system instability and even damage your components.

I would replace it ASAP with any 500w and up power supply from Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, Antec or the higher efficiency Rosewill units.
m
l
February 14, 2013 8:10:23 PM

Wow guys thanks! ill definitely do that!!
m
l
February 14, 2013 8:13:00 PM

anort3 said:
An HD 7870 only needs a recommended 500w power supply. To run 2 x HD 7870s in Crossfire 600 watts is recommended.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

That Cyberpower feels the need to use an "800 watt" power supply speaks volumes about the lack of quality of their stock units. Very likely, like most cheap, low quality units it can not supply the power it's rated at. If you were to try to use it as an 800w unit it would probably explode and could take other components with it. If it's used as the 450-500w it probably really is it might be fine.

The question should be how good is the voltage regulation and how much ripple and noise is it producing. A very low quality power supply can be so far out of spec that the "dirty" voltage it produces can cause system instability and even damage your components.

I would replace it ASAP with any 500w and up power supply from Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, Antec or the higher efficiency Rosewill units.

500 Watts - Corsair CX500 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply would this psu do ok?
m
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 8:33:28 PM

Yep.
m
l

Best solution

a c 259 ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 8:54:20 PM

Gah I just typed out a long reply to your PM and you deleted it I guess?

As I was saying there from those listed in order of what you need.
1) CX600
2) 750TX
3) LEPA G850

In order of quality.
1) LEPA G850 Although not a brand I mentioned by name above they are made by Enermax and very good.
2) 750TX Almost a tie. Although the LEPA is 80 Plus Gold cerified and modular giving it an edge over the nonmodular 80 Plus Bronze 750TXV2. Build quality and voltage regulation will be excellent in both.
3) CX600 The CX line is Corsair's budget line and while still very good is not as good as other Corsair lines.

Avoid Thermaltake and Coolermaster.
February 14, 2013 9:31:23 PM

Best answer selected by chasefury10.
m
l
February 14, 2013 9:31:41 PM

anort3 said:
Gah I just typed out a long reply to your PM and you deleted it I guess?

As I was saying there from those listed in order of what you need.
1) CX600
2) 750TX
3) LEPA G850

In order of quality.
1) LEPA G850 Although not a brand I mentioned by name above they are made by Enermax and very good.
2) 750TX Almost a tie. Although the LEPA is 80 Plus Gold cerified and modular giving it an edge over the nonmodular 80 Plus Bronze 750TXV2. Build quality and voltage regulation will be excellent in both.
3) CX600 The CX line is Corsair's budget line and while still very good is not as good as other Corsair lines.

Avoid Thermaltake and Coolermaster.

Wow thanks mate this really helps allot.
m
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 10:03:38 PM

Glad to help. :) 
m
l
!